Transporting Mandarins

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by dgermanshepherd, Aug 29, 2013.

1. dgermanshepherd

dgermanshepherd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Manheim, PA
    What would be the best way to transport mandarin ducks? they would be riding in the van; so no worries of wind. I have wooden poultry crates, plastic dog crates, cardboard boxes. What would you recommend? This is my first time transporting birds. its a 5hour drive as well. I read to give them lettuce in the boxes to nibble at for nourishment? Transporting 2 breeding pairs and 8 babies. thanks!!!

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Any one of those will work.Cardboard box is what they are shipped in just about anywhere. Just put some straw and hay down in whatever box you go with as they will be pooping. They dont really need any food or water for that short of a trip. I dont like to stress em so keep them in the dark by some kind of way. The main thing is dont let them get hot. The babies could handle it but not the adults, that is why shipping is done in the cooler months. Good luck.

3. dgermanshepherd

Jul 9, 2013
    Manheim, PA
    Thanks!! This is going to be a first transporting adult birds for me.

4. jlord

jlord Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2012
    One other consideration is size of the container that you use to move them. I like to several small containers rather than one large one, when shipping I will put dividers in the box, usually I do not like to put more than 5-6 birds in togther. These types of birds get spooked easily and trampling can be a problem. I would also recommend keeping them in the dark as well.

5. dgermanshepherd

Jul 9, 2013
    Manheim, PA
    Moved them inside a medium size dog crate. they seemed to do very well and were calm for the journey.. Thanks for all the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by