Transporting Pekin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mllc, Mar 10, 2018.

1. mllc

mllc In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2018
    Hello, this is my first post on this forum, although I've been a visitor for a long time. I've joined to ask the following question. I currently have 1 Pekin duck, I started with a few, but over the course of the past year, I have lost a couple to predators (I have since secured their paddock) and recently my female died, I believe it was an infection, she was unable to stand without help and died less than 24 hours later. Her mate looks lonely, he has just been sitting out quacking in the snow (he has a nice, dry, draft free house, but doesn't use it.) I want to get him some friends, but I don't really want to raise more ducklings to adulthood right now.

There is a farm about two hours away giving away four adult ducks, three male, one female, all pekin / pekin blend. My question is how do I transport adult ducks safely? I no longer have a truck, I have a Subaru wagon, I was thinking of using a large dog crate and maybe doing two at a time and making two trips. When I brought them home as babies, I used a metal stock tank that just fit in the back of the car.

any advice is appreciated.

casportpony likes this.
  2. lucas1

lucas1 In the Brooder

May 14, 2016
    The crate should work for 4 what are the dimensions for that?

casportpony likes this.
  3. Rob Tof

Rob Tof Songster

Jun 14, 2017
    Conn
    I bring Peking duck home in a brown paper bag. I hear they go well with duck sauce. Lol go on Craigslist in your area and post looking for large dog crate or med. I would use that to transport them.

casportpony likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC! A large dog crate would work.

Miss Lydia and mllc like this.
  5. mllc

mllc In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2018
    It's 36" long 24" wide and 25" tall I was thinking of putting down a tarp under it, ducks aren't exactly great travel companions.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. lucas1

lucas1 In the Brooder

May 14, 2016
    You can put all 4 in there they will be fine. Yeah that tarp is a must-have

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: