Transporting small flock ~30 minutes in small vehicle

KIslandGirls

Chirping
Mar 9, 2022
I'm adopting 8 grown hens. I drive a Chevy Volt (I may be able to talk a friend with a larger vehicle into helping if that's the only solution). I don't want to spend a ton on crates for a short distance, one-time move, but all I have available at present is a cat carrier. How much space do I need for 8 larger standard hens for a half hour trip, and what's an inexpensive, or re-purposable solution. Preferably that would fit in my car with the back seats down.

For a short trip in weather that is not hot, you've got lots of options.
The most basic points: they need to breathe, they need to not run away, they need to not be squished or knocked around as you drive. And of course you would prefer not to have a mess in your car.

You can probably fit one or two in your cat carrier.

You can transport chickens in cardboard boxes, if you punch some holes for ventilation.

I've transported chickens in a garbage can, with a piece of chicken wire over the top to keep them in. A laundry basket could probably be used that way too.

I think it would even work to put chickens in a pillowcase (one or two each, not crowded full), then tie the pilllowcase shut so they can't get out.

You might also be able to borrow dog crates or cat crates from someone, and return them afterward.

Last edited:
I'm adopting 8 grown hens. I drive a Chevy Volt (I may be able to talk a friend with a larger vehicle into helping if that's the only solution). I don't want to spend a ton on crates for a short distance, one-time move, but all I have available at present is a cat carrier. How much space do I need for 8 larger standard hens for a half hour trip, and what's an inexpensive, or re-purposable solution. Preferably that would fit in my car with the back seats down.
For a half hour trip get a cardboard box that will fit your back seat. You should be able to get boxes free. Maybe visit an appliance store and get box or two. Maybe a grocery store. Tape together a solid floor that fits and tape sides all around. You'll need to fasten some netting on the open top to keep them in. The netting may be all you need to buy. Bird netting or deer netting works. Or fit a wire mesh top on it if you have some left over from building the coop/run. You could put some type of solid top, probably cardboard taped on, and cut vent holes but I'd want several of them.

You can crowd them, not a big deal for that short of a trip. No need for food or water. They will poop so I'd want something to absorb that, maybe old towels or something you can wash or wood shavings, hay, or straw. The cardboard will be a bit slick so take the curves gently.

I can't think of anything cheaper but may require some creativity to make it fit your back seat.

I would probably get 2-3 of the moving boxes from Home Depot. Kinda reusable should you need to move chickens again, but probably the cheapest option you will find and will break back down to store very small. And with bedding in there, it is unlikely that they will poop up the actual boxes.
Doh! That's a great idea! And I have a bunch having recently moved and still in the unpacking the office and indoor bird room phase! So 2-3 chickens per box?

For a half hour trip get a cardboard box that will fit your back seat. You should be able to get boxes free. Maybe visit an appliance store and get box or two. Maybe a grocery store. Tape together a solid floor that fits and tape sides all around. You'll need to fasten some netting on the open top to keep them in. The netting may be all you need to buy. Bird netting or deer netting works. Or fit a wire mesh top on it if you have some left over from building the coop/run. You could put some type of solid top, probably cardboard taped on, and cut vent holes but I'd want several of them.

You can crowd them, not a big deal for that short of a trip. No need for food or water. They will poop so I'd want something to absorb that, maybe old towels or something you can wash or wood shavings, hay, or straw. The cardboard will be a bit slick so take the curves gently.

I can't think of anything cheaper but may require some creativity to make it fit your back seat.
I didn't think of this, my parrots would make short work of a box! Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom