Transporting three-day-olds for an hour in the car? **PICS**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nonny, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm off to pick up our newbies this morning and it's mid-summer and an hour drive back home with my three new babies. Do I need to take water/food in the box in the car for them? I'll have the aircon going and have them in a high-sided box so there won't be a draft.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I think the that would depend on exactly where you are heading to pick them up. I am just over an hour from Brissy but it is way hotter here normally than Brissy. If you are heading Gold coast way on the M1 for example may take you longer than your expected hour being school holidays etc. You could always add a bit of cut apple to the box or some watermelon. They could pick at that on the way home.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Water would probably get spilt everywhere (been there, done that!) so I think some fruit would be better! If the water soaks the bedding they always manage to end up wet. [​IMG]

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    If they have had food and water in the brooder an hour without food and water will not hurt.

5. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Just tuck them in a small box and keep them close enough you can watch them occasionally. If they get too hot, turn up the air, but remember, they like 100 deg. F so that is unlikely if you are traveling. No food or water necessary, as it will just get all over them.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh congratulations on your new arrivals! I remember your thread about your feeder.

They should be fine for one hour, unless they are starting the trip already hungry and thirsty. Every time you turn a corner the water will slosh and spill (been there done that).

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    REMEMBER>>>>> [​IMG]

8. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks! They were eating and drinking just before I picked them up, so we just had them in a box together. Have just spent the best part of an hour cuddling the new arrivals!

Pics to come once I put fresh batteries in the camera, but for now we've named them:

Lacey (Light Sussex)
    Cinnamon (Welsummer)
    Nutmeg (Barnevelder)
    Freckles (Ancona)

They are so incredibly CUTE!!!!!

9. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    PICS! [​IMG]

In order from left to right, we have Freckles, Lacey, Nutmeg and Cinnamon. <3

[​IMG]

(I might have the last two mixed up... the supplier said the 3rd one is the Welsummer and the last one is the Barnevelder, but I checked images online and I think she might have got it the wrong way around. Can anyone confirm?)

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by