Transsexual Chicken Pip from New Zealand.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Discofarmer, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Discofarmer

Discofarmer New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Hello - I'm new to this so apologies in advance for being hopeless on the computer.

I have kept chickens for 35 years, I love them, I currently have one 8 month old rooster, six ancient hens (all laying bar one) and ...Pip. Pip is an Old Dutch chicken and was given to me as a rescue chicken, along with his sister Rosa and two other hens. When s/he first jumped out of his box, I said 'That's a rooster', the lady who delivered them said she was told they were all hens and that there were no roosters.

This was about a year ago. At that time, we had an ancient bantam rooster in charge of the hens. He never chased Pip nor challenged him/her, but neither did he show any interest in feeding him/her or dancing at him/her.

Pip by nature is a very quiet, gentle chicken who likes to be picked up, loves been stroked and who loves to watch himself in the mirror. He is at the bottom of the pecking order, and the only chicken I have seen him/her fight with (puffed up neck and jumping) was sister Rosa, once or twice.

I have never seen Pip crouch for any chicken, nor any chicken show any sexual curiosity about Pip. Except my new rooster - who seems to view Pip as a rival for his hens, and chases Pip away. Occasionally Pip will run headfirst into nearby bushes and flatten himself out, but not in a crouching way, when the rooster chases him. The rooster will then patrol the bush, but not with any great enthusiasm.

Pip has never crowed nor laid an egg - to my knowledge anyhow. He has a funny gravelly voice like bolts in a tin can.

He has decent long sharps spurs, Rosa only has one and it is short and stubby.

On any pictures of Old Dutch chickens I've seen, he looks like the rooster of the breed, but Rosa looks like the hen.

I have had a post-menopausal hen before, she crowed at an advanced age and certainly took on the characteristics of a bossy rooster.

I've also looked after caponised roosters, they continued to crow (but much less), grew rotund and peaceful.

Anyhow... What do you think?

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have read on the internet about transgender chickens, but I have never personally seen one. I guess anything is possible. It would still be extremely rare to nonexistent. I have heard and seen very slow maturing non-dominate roosters. I would wait before jumping to conclusions. If he/she looks like a male and does not lay eggs, with or without crowing and other male traits, then I think the classification would be a rooster.

I'm not the best with terminalogy, but I think I need to correct myself. Are you describing a hermaphrodite?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    gyrandomorph? although i think those are very obviously half hen half rooster...

4. Discofarmer

Discofarmer New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Great comments, and thank you.

I really don't know what gender this chicken is - maybe the chicken equivalent of Kleinefelter's Syndrome - or a ladyboy..? S/he behaves neither like a hen nor like a rooster - not flighty like Rosa - lovely animal, but just strange to my eye. It will look me in the eye soulfully for a minute or so if I look out and see it. My hens will use any opportunity to dust bathe (when it's rained, in the driveway, all along the side fence) but my roosters haven't been that fussed - they've been more on a lookout duty - Pip's more of a sunbather. I've never seen Pip 'bolt' food, very polite eater. Will take food from the hand but doesn't get enthused jumping for it.

I must get better pictures and maybe a video of Pip.

I also realise I should've posted in the Gender Category - is there any way of doing this without having to type everything out again?

Many thanks -

5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I'd like to see some picture also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by