trap a dog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Akane, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Any way to live trap a small dog? [​IMG] It slipped through the fence and on to my property. Dameru and Shi are dead. Half my flock is missing. It ran off before I could catch it or see where it went. I'm sure it will be back and my chickens are staying up but I want it caught or dead and the name off that tag.

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Can you just fix the fence? If you need to trap it try using a box trap. Put food scrapes in it and hopefully it will go in. Then you can take it to its owner.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The fence is old and falling down. I'd have to replace the whole thing and that would still leave open areas. The deal with the landlord was that I could have chickens if I did not build any more fenced structures. Either I free range or I don't have chickens.

4. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Seriously, pan traps are about the only way to cathc dogs or yotes. Not what you wanted to here I am sure but the truth.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It might go in a live trap, some dogs are reeeeally food motivated. You might catch raccoons and everything else too! Sometimes the animal control will loan you a trap or offer advice.

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    is it legal to use firearm in your area?

7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I know you are angry now, but do you really want to kill the dog? You are going to have to live in that neighborhood, and your kids will probably have to go to school with the kids that owned the dog.

I suggest you staple hardware cloth or heavy duty chicken wire around the inside perimiter of the fence. If the dog makes it through the old boards, he probably won't get through the wire.

You can just remove the wire when you move.

Rufus

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I certainly do not blame you for your feelings towards the dog at all. I would contact the human society, discuss it with them and let them know what happened...see what they suggest...they may actually have a trap you could borrow or something.

Good luck.

9. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    A few strands of electric wire would suit you well.

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't know if you can easily trap a dog. Do you know who owns him? I would suggest that you file a report with the police or Sheriff's Dept. You need to have a record of this. That way you can eventually hold the dog owners responsible. Personally, I would hold the dog owners liable and shoot the dog if I ever saw it on the property again. It's a real shame when dog owners let their predatory pets roam. It puts others in the position of having to decide which pet gets to live, the poultry (or other pet) or the dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by