Trap didn't kill - ? Feel bad now.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by oesdog, Dec 16, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Feeling a bit bad - [​IMG]
    I started to put the mouse traps out again round the coop - and this morning I was late up and out to check them. One poor little critter - well the trap didn;t fire quick enough and the little thing got his foot caught. He had dragged that big old trap with him a good 4 feet to the drain and managed to get under cover there but the old trap was hanging outside. I scratched my head and thought I never put that there???? So I lifted it and found him. Alive and he must have been in agony cause that foot I am pretty sure got broken. I am certain he had been thrashing to get out of the trap to. DH got his fingers in one a few times and they are really sore. I went to lift a rock to finish him off cause I hate that - I hate suffering bigtime. But as I turned the trap he managed to free himself and took off under the coop. Now I feel really bad. I put the trap down , I hurt him and now I didn;t even kill him right and hes out there suffering and dying slowely cause I just know that old legs broken and that foot isn;t any good to hunt for food on. One of Gods creatures and I failed him. He did manage a few good bites on my hand that I think I rightly deserved though!!! I am truely not cut out for killing things really. Not even those old disease riden theives of mice - I still lift the wee babies out the food bin when they get caught stealing as they get in and are too wee to get out!!!! I just keep telling their mamma she has till spring and then I am going to evict her.

Anyhow I had to put the traps out again tonight and I tried to get the bate right up close to the trigger so they have to get right in so its a clean kill. It really has upset me bigtime that that poor wee critter suffered soo much because of my stupidity. I hate the glue traps cause they try to bite their feet off to get free I heard. I just hate pointless animal suffering and cruelty. Yet I know I have to do something about the mouse population here. I do draw the line at babies and pregnant females. I just can;t hurt them if they are not able to run and its an even fight.

OK I am a daft soft old bird. - Still feel awful at the suffering of that poor mouse. - [​IMG]
    Anyone else have these issues or am I the only female in this world who doesn;t scream and try to kill them with a broom?????

Oesdog [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Okay... here is a solution for you.... (be careful around your cats...) but get cottonballs a real oil of peppermint... soak the cotton balls and put them where the mice are that the cat can't get at... They will not come in...They are allergic to peppermint....No mice slaughtering necessary. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL...I'm SO that way. I can handle a clean kill of an animal, but HATE the thought of something suffering. I don't mind my cats bringing dead "treats" home for us, but can't stand when they bring something live home and toy with it. 99% of the time I end up "rescuing" the live critter and dumping it off in the field or the woods, where I'm sure it either dies or gets caught again eventually. [​IMG]

4. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    LOL....guilty here as well.....we had one running around our dining room ... DINING ROOM...and I made hubby help me with two pieces of cardboard direct it's exit to the front door.

Another time I saw the smallest baby mouse being blown over onto his back in the wind (he was on my front walk) and I went out and scooped him into dust pan
    and deposited him into the front garden....

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I had to kill a cat with a shovel.... THat was a haunting nightmare.... Barn cat got stepped on my a horse and broke it's back....just a kitten...OH MY GOSH... I still get a sick feeling...It was necessary but wow...how aweful!!!

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Gosh your all as soft as I am - want to cry. - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oh did I mention I want to do meat birds??????????? Oh how am I ever going to do that????? I can;t even kill a mouse without being upset!!!!!

Oesdog

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How about those bites on your hand hope you got them cleaned out good.

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Don't worry about that I have gotten bitten by worse and WE DON:T HAVE RABIES HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got bitten by my sons Ferrit called Thug ( There is a reason for that name!) I had about 6 different bites on my hands and right through my fingers to the other side and down through the nail beds. I couldn;t get the darn critter off as everytime I got him off one bit he lauched at another bit of me!!!! In the end called to my son with this thing dangling from my hand and blood everywhere and calmly asked him to kindly remove his pet!!!!!!!!( All he said was gosh mum thats gotta hurt!!!) He blattered its nose until it let go. - I didn;t have the heart to tell him he was driving the darn critters teeth further into my hand!!!!!!!!

Mice well it wasn;t so bad. Fingers are still working and I am still typing!!!! I am good. - I bet I am not half as sore as that poor little fellows leg is tonight darn sure his wee foot is near off.

Oesdog - thansk for the care [​IMG]

9. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    It can be hard enough to do the right thing, then when you mess it up, here comes the guilt trip. I know you feel bad, but the mouse may very well recover from his broken leg and come back to eat more of your chicken feed. Or maybe look at it this way, if he can't escape and another animal eats him, then you helped provide for another one of God's creatures. [​IMG]

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    oesdog, don't beat yourself up. You are doing your very best to set the traps properly, but every now and again you'll have a naughty bugger who doesn't get caught just right. We use those traps too, and it is a nasty business when they fail. All we can do is try our best, and when that fails, quickly and unflinchingly help our animal friends into the afterlife.

And remember too that animals have their own paths to follow - - they may intersect with ours, but we don't control the outcomes, eh! Your injured mouse will survive or die on his own merit. . . he was not going to let you decide for him, LOL!

Be at peace - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by