Trapped chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dodgersmomma, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    My eggs have started hatching and I have one already out but I think there is a problem with one of the other eggs... I checked it when I got home and it had a part chipped off the side, the bad part is that it's not where his head is. It looks like the chicks back and he seems to be having a hard time breathing. Also there is a little bit of blood but I think that is just some of the stuff inside of the egg. Should I help him or leave him be?

2. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    Is he chirping? If you're worried, you can help by CAREFULLY peeling off little pieces of the shell and be careful not to touch the membrane.

3. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    I helped him out of the egg, it seemed like there was a lot of blood but now that I think of it there really wasn't that much. Once I got him out of the egg I put him back in the incubator but he still hasn't gotten up to walk. He is just sitting/laying there taking deep breaths. If you try and move him he kicks but that's all. He is also chirpping so I think that's a good sign....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by