Trapped for 11 days no food, no water - very thin pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RyRy2, Jul 1, 2011.

1. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    ok, so on Sunday June 19th, my Polish pullet (16 weeks old today) disappeared,we looked everywhere we could, called and called (usually she will come to my voice or chirp at me), but we couldn't find her, after a few days of searching we figured that hawk or fox came down and got her, nothing else made sense.. Last night we started moving out the old bales of hay to get ready for this years cutting, we took a load across the street, came back and there she was, sitting in the middle of the barn aisle pecking as fast as she could.. I couldn't believe it.. the only thing I can think is that she was climbing on the hay and fell down between some bales becoming trapped, when we started moving bales we freed her. She is skin and bones, I made sure she had food and took her to the water as well. Other than being very, very thin she seems ok, eating/drinking, although she is a bit hunched up and feathers puffed out (even managed to fly to the top of the stall to roost). I can't believe she is alive.. What can I do for her, should I give her extra food, or limit her food (I know with dogs and horses you can actually make them sick by giving them too much when they've been starved).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If she was mine, I would be pouring the food and water into her as fast as she could take it [​IMG]

So glad she is ok - thin but ok.

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

If she hasn't eaten then her gut is definitely going to need probiotics. Give her organic Apple Cider Vinegar in her water and/or even add the powered form in her feed. Don't let her gorge herself, small meals at your discretion. That's one way a chicken can get an impacted crop...from loading up on food too quickly.

So glad you found her!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd put a little Gatorade or other sports drink in her water for a day or two as well, for both the sugar and the electrolytes.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

What a great story! so happy for you and for her!

She needs electrolytes,.. use pedialyte or gatorade if you absolutely cannot get a poultry vitamin/electrolyte mixture.
    and I would probably give some yogurt for probiotics if you have some.

6. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    ok, so gatorade for the electrolytes, some yogurt for the probiotics and make sure she eats, but watch how much so she doesn't make herself sick...

Thanks, I am still in shock that she made it..

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    No yogurt! Birds are lactose intolerant! Go with the Apple Cider Vinegar!

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X's 2! People have to stop with the yogurt and chickens (any bird)! There is a probiotic product they carry at feed stores called "Probios" it can be used on all animals.

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:X's 2! People have to stop with the yogurt and chickens (any bird)! There is a probiotic product they carry at feed stores called "Probios" it can be used on all animals.

Plain yogurt is on the treats chart and it says it's good for the digestive system.

10. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    wow, ok, definitely didn't know that. I've seen on here so many times about people giving their chickens yogurt as a treat, this is the first I've seen that it isn't good for them.. I will try to pick up some probias or other vitamin at TSC tonight, if I can't find it I will stick with the apple cider vinegar ( I know I have that in my baking cupboard). I just want her to be ok.. I feel so horrible that I didn't find her sooner. I did climb on those hay bales twice a day the first few days she was missing just looking for nooks and crannies and looking behind the wall to try and find her, I never heard her make a peep.. I had just resigned myself to her going to a new home when she went missing, and now she's back, this is going to make it sending her to a new home even harder ( I will miss her).

thank you so much for all of your help and advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by