Trapped....horror in the hen house !!!!! (hee, hee, hee)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gatorpupsmom, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Gatorpupsmom

Gatorpupsmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Albany, Texas
    Earlier this evening Braden, my 8 year old son, and I went out to the chicken barn to tell our little girls (and one boy we think) good night. We sat down with them, and fed them a couple of pieces of stale biscuits. Pokey, my husband, came out after a bit to see what we were doing. He didn't stay long, and after he left, Braden went to pull the door closed. It came open again, so he pulled it shut a bit harder. Somehow, the edges of the lock came together, and we got locked in!!!! We tried like crazy to get it apart, no go. We finally sat down with the Delawares, Australorps and Guineas to just wait it out. Braden was sitting by the door, and as it got cooler for us, I started explaining to the chicks that when it came down to it, they might outnumber me, but if I had to spend the night out there, I was getting the lamps to stay warm.

Suddenly, something hit the door beside where Braden was sitting, and he looked at me....scared to death!!!! He said, "Mama, there's something out there!!!" just as it bumped again. I stood up to see what it was, and there stood Jazzy, our cat. I started laughing, and just then she jumped up and clung to the chicken wire at the top of the half-door. Braden screamed at the top of his lungs. (She was just trying to get to me and Brae for a bit of attention, not to the chickies.) We sat back down to wait some more, and Jazzy resigned herself to having Braden scratch her through a hole in the metal studs that frame the door. I tried EVERYTHING to get out, but Pokey's got that sucker built like a darn prison cell. Finally, after an hour in the chicken house, 45 minutes of it locked in against our will, Bryson, my 6 year old, came out the check on us. Braden and I both yelled, "Yay!! Bryson, you've saved us!" When we came in, I told Pokey that I was glad at least one of them figured out something was wrong and came to check on us.

You wanna guess what Pokey was doing? He was in here reading on...........you guessed it.........
    BACKYARDCHICKENS.COM!!!!!!!!!

Actually a pretty funny end to the evening. [​IMG] Thought you guys might enjoy the story!!!!

Kim

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Further proof that BYC is addictive.

3. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    [​IMG]
    Loved it!!
    OMG I have always wondered if they would come get me if I didnt come out! LOL

4. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

At least your son came and found you! Cute story! [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Around here, I would have been put in the position of eating the chickens, if they didn't get me first. . . .

6. Gatorpupsmom

Gatorpupsmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Albany, Texas
    d.k :

* Around here, I would have been put in the position of eating the chickens, if they didn't get me first. . . .

Ha!! Braden was already contemplating eating them....

Kim​

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehe I got locked in Eggtopia for a bit too but I had left a screwdriver in there earlier so I took the lock assembly off and as I have small hands, I reached through the hole and flipped the latch. hehehehehe

Thank goodness you little one came to save you.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Actually, I will have to give that a lot of thought before getting a real coop built. DH has already locked me out in the pen 3 times, and I've done it to myself twice! I'm gonna need an escape hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by