Trapped in Louisiana

NeTNChknLover

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Kingsport, TN
I need to rant.
I came down to New Orleans with the boyfriend, we drive around trying to find a hotel...and what happens? We break down. 10.5 hours from home.
rant.gif
We walked to a hotel, the closest was 3 miles away, we walked to the hotel at 11pm. So now we are stuck in Chalmette until a transmission mechanic opens up shop tomorrow.
barnie.gif
Worst.Vacation.Ever.
hit.gif

Sooo we are just chilling out in the hotel until tomorrow because the ferry service is 3 miles away...all that fun so close, yet so far.

Right now this is a disaster, but one day you will be able to add it to your list of "incredible adventures and stories."
hugs.gif

Where are you trying to go via a ferry from Chalmette?

Are you trying to get over to the west bank? Or Are you wanting to go to Jakson Square, French Quarter? Don't have to take ferry if you are in chalmette.

Should be city bus service available, taxi cabs available, something.

Last edited:
We just want the cheapest way possible to get to the city, we wanted to go to the French Quarter.
The bus system doesnt run close to where we are staying and the cab service (the only one that comes here) well lets just say we had a poor experience with them last night.

And you're right, sourland! My boyfriend keeps saying that this will be a great story for the kids, so I'm just going with that!
big_smile.png

The Princess and I have collected a multitde of what we term "Elaine and George's great adventures." Have fun regardless of the circumstances.
celebrate.gif

Hope things work out.Is the transmission worth fixing?Dh spent a ton on a car transmission once when he was out of state,and he swore never again. Might be better to scrap the car for a few hundered and get a rental to home.Then get something new.

Need one of these?

Somewhere on this place is my story of my vacation in July 11. Absolutely nothing went right. Flat tires, hot motors, got lost, took a 33 foot camper and truck down a dirt road no wider than a firebreak. Broken windshield, tornado warnings. Food was good, though.

I got laughed at long, long, ago when I showed up at a horseshow in a 20year old Ford dually that normally never left the farm due to dents, faded paint and so forth. The usual truck was in the shop for repair, and I really didn't notice what was in back of the truck despite the fact I had to crawl around it to hook up the gooseneck.

Imagine my surprise when people started joking about me carrying spare parts for the old truck. I looked in the bed and to my surprise was a glistening just rebuilt transmission sitting there.

"Yep," I said. "I forgot the spare tire, but dadgum it, I'll have a transmission if I need one."

Still can't understand the comment relating to "the ferry".

Chalmette and New Orleans (French Quarter) are on the same side (east bank) of the Mississippi river. It should be easy, very easy to get from Chalmette - Paris Hwy/ Judge Perez (St Claude in the lower 9th) to the French Quarter.

Where are you guys staying? I pass through Chalmette sometimes. Right off hand I can only think of 1 motel/hotel in Chalmette proper, located on Paris Hwy, 1 block north of St. Claude. Might be some small mom and pop motels off the beaten path, but right off hand I can't think of any. Most of them went away with the storm. Still some place may have opened up since I last travelled through.

Since hurricane Katrina the population of St Bernard Parish has not rebounded very well. before the hurricane maybe 80 - 100k people, after I don't think they have made it back to 50k yet.

Looking for something to do?
Hire a fishing guide to take you guys out fishing. If you are staying at the Quality Inn/Truck Stop/Cassino/Marina on Paris Hwy, should be easy to look in the lobby and get a card. They can pick you up from the motel and bring you back when done. Cheaper and safer than going walk the Quarter.

For what it's worth, playing russian roullette with a fully loaded pistol is safer than being a tourist in the French Quarter. To many scammers, pimps, pic pockets, strippers, and what have you for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom