Trapping Roosters and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by speedbump, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedbump

speedbump New Egg

Nov 14, 2007
    I know this is going to sound like I hate Chickens and Roosters. Well in a way I do. I have a very nice home in the country which happens to be situated next to 12 very run down trailers that are inhabited by Mexicans. Most of which are illegal. I don't have anything against these folks except their Crowing Roosters and Chickens that scatter our mulch everywhere but in the areas we put it. My wife spent a lot of money on mulch, I dolled out the bags along the flower gardens where she wanted it, she spent all afternoon spreading it. Next morning most of it was 2 - 4 feet out in the grass. This and the Crowing all hours of the day and night. They wake us up quite often.

I have trapped probably 50 assorted Roosters, Bitties and Chickens all of which I have transplanted to a nicer area. One far enough away that they couldn't find their way home. I mean them no harm and would love to give them to anyone who wants them. I'm not an expert, but I believe the Roosters are Fighting Cocks that are supposed to be pretty valuable. They are gorgeous. Green, red, brown and black. Large also.

Any ideas on a better solution or anyone in the Tampa area that wants a lot of free Chickens and Roosters, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

bob...

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thats too bad since in most areas chickens are domesticated and don't survive on their own very well. I do however hear some places where you are they can survive. Best you can really do becides take care of the root problem is to fence in your yard.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes, a nice 6 foot fence (garden/field fencing or even a wooden privacy fence) would deterr them from getting into your yard.

Also, the game fighting roosters are very valuable (in the right circles). I've seen them sell for upwards around $100 a bird or more. You could always take the ones you trap to the local flea market and sell them, lots of people are looking for good layers and chicks, in lieu of releasing them into the wild. If the distance was doable, I'd come take a few off your hands. [​IMG] However, I'm not likely to be visiting the Tampa area anytime soon.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    You might contact local feed stores and say you have free chickens, tell the feed store they can sell them for what ever they want (I have heard of fighting roosters being old for breeding at a cost of $500 each!). I bet they would be glad to take some if not all of them. I know they are a bother to you but if you posted photos here perhaps some other BYC member in your area would take them (post them in the buy, sell, trade, category). Just a Suggestion.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  5. speedbump

speedbump New Egg

Nov 14, 2007
    Thats too bad since in most areas chickens are domesticated and don't survive on their own very well. I do however hear some places where you are they can survive. Best you can really do becides take care of the root problem is to fence in your yard.

They seem to be doing fine. Each time I take another batch, there are a few of the others milling around.

The yard is fenced. They fly over or walk underneath where these people have destroyed it on their side. Chain link on the outside and 6' wood one foot further in. As you can see it's a losing battle. These people keep to themselves but are basically slobs. They have crap laying all over and use the whole world as their garbage can.

e very valuable (in the right circles). I've seen them sell for upwards around $100 a bird or more. You could always take the ones you trap to the local flea market and sell them, lots of people are looking for good layers and chicks, in lieu of releasing them into the wild. If the distance was doable, I'd come take a few off your hands. smile However, I'm not likely to be visiting the Tampa area anytime soon.

Too bad, I could fix you up with some real pretty Roosters.

I almost had them wiped out for the third time in six years and they went out and bought about 4 more Roosters and I can't count the chickens. And it starts all over again.

Would a chicken coop in my yard possible attract them all at the same time so I could transport them all at once???

bob...

PS: I can take a pic of one if you like.​

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Would a chicken coop in my yard possible attract them all at the same time so I could transport them all at once???

It might help especially if you are offering a free meal and water. You might not get them all in at once but you sure would catch more with the free meal [​IMG]

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I would love to see a pic

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yeah, you could put up a coop to catch more by offering them a free meal & shelter, and who knows, they might repay you with some free fresh eggs.

That would make it easier and give you time to rehome the roosters, and maybe keep a few hens for fresh eggs.

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'd love to see a picture as well!

They probably like your yard because they think the grass is always greener on the other side. [​IMG]

Sorry they're being such a pain for you. Most times chickens are pretty beneficial to have around because of pest control, weed control, in general aesthetics (they look pretty). Plus, they lay eggs!

10. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Do these people realize what is happening to thier chickens?
    Or do they not care. Have you tried speaking to them?
    It should not fall on you being that you are not the chicken owner here, but maybe if you offered to help them build a chicken run it could solve both of your problems. This would have to be at thier expense of course, minus one of your Saturdays to help as a gesture of good will and good intentions.
    If they refuse that, then I would just tell them I was going to eat any chicken caught in my yard.
    Faced with the knowlege that they can contain them with a little help from you, or you can eat thier chickens I can't imagine they would opt to just keep forking out money for new chickens.
    Second point I would make is that if they are indeed "fighting chickens", isn't this against the law in your state? If it is a simple alert to the proper authorities would have thier chickens removed, have them fined,and probably put them on a watch list. If they are illegal I doubt they would like that much attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by