Trapping success

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dogfish, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I set my trap up in a different place, and changed up baits. Turns out that a combinantion of marsh mallows and cat food is the ticket. Started getting some results Monday...
    [​IMG]

...and then Tuesday....
    [​IMG]

....and today I got this cute little monster.
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ummm...what were you TRYING to trap??? lol Are the cats yours?? A small child would have been funnier...heehee [​IMG] That's a NICE trap...did you make it?

3. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I was setting the trap for coyotes, possum and coons. The cats were just collateral damage. All I did to the cats was get them wet with the super soaker, bang on the cage, and then let my dog chase them off the property, as they weren't mine. We caught the neighbors dog 3 times in 3 days last summer, but he is a good boy, so he didn't get the rough treatment.

Yup, built the trap myself. Nice to see it finally paying off.

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Beautiful trap. I wish I was that handy!

Why is it all the preds have t'be s'darned cute in these things? That's an adorable possum. I want to beep his nose. <3

5. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I beeped his nose for you.

6. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Quote:ROTFL!!!! I love cats, and I've taken in strays up to a total count of 4 cats during one stint. But that is funny as heck. I hope it works for you. My cats are pretty determined. When they stake out a territory, I'm not sure being trapped, banged and super-soaked would deter them! You are definitely my laugh of the day. Thanks for the entertainment!

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:One of the slickest things I have seen used for yotes is a fairly good sized piece of sewer pipe 14-16" diameter X 12-15 foot long you set it on and incline bury the lower end 2-3 foot in the ground, pile dirt over the low end throw bait down the pipe when the yote commits to going into the pipe because of its nails on its feet it cannot get back out this works best in cooler weather when food is short the ranker the bait the better. ditch banks and wind breaks on farms are kina natural locations for this set [​IMG] HTH

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:I'll bet you did!! [​IMG]

9. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    next time you catch a cat add a bit of vinager to the super soaker....wont hurt them just sting a little. help to renforce the get outta here message! lol

10. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Possums are pretty good at playing dead. 12 hours and counting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by