Trashed garage then made a nest!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EboyDog, Aug 26, 2007.

1. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    My girls are just starting to lay, they are about 6 months old but in the last couple of weeks after I let them out to run, I have had one hen who is very friendly and tame (this in one that I rescued from the dog acouple of times but she's fine!) but anyhow...

This hen is wrecking my garage! she has come to believe that the garage is her personal coop and she goes out of her way to find places to lay her eggs, she get's up on the work bench and knocks things off; my garage is not the most neat and organized and she is not helping!

Yesterday morning, she refused to leave or get down from a table were she was knocking everthing off so I took a old bath towl I had laying around and put it on the table which she went straight to and a few minutes later I heard this loud cackling and carrying on so I went to check and she enough she layed an egg! She was very proud! [​IMG]

(Please ignore the mess of the garage, I am working on that this weekend! [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Prior to one she laided yesteray, my total count was 6 eggs since the girls started... the first one was the one on the right with the white egg being the last one prior to yesterday (not sure WHO did that!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I wouldn't encourage her to lay in the garage!! chickens are creatures of habit, and you might be sorry you let her lay there! I know it's cute and funny......
    Maybe you ought to lock her up in the coop for a few days until she learns what the nesting boxes are for. I have an EE that likes to come in my garage also. Haven't found any eggs yet, but I chase her out and she goes into the coop to lay.
    cute picture. Chickens are so funny. [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We had a banty who felt it her duty to hide eggs for us in the garage. She passed away in June and we are still finding eggs as we pull out canning stuff and gardening tools for the summer. Luckily the eggs didn't rot, they just dehydrated in the heat.

4. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    Usually I don't let them in the garage and yesterday was the exception as with it being a LOT cooler around here, I let them free range all day, I think she just was too busy and didn't want to go all the way to the coop.

I think this particular hen feels extra safe around me as as I mentioned I saved from the clutchs of Missy, the year old golden retriever!! I can't go any were in th yard with out her and the turkeys following me !!

My flock really enjoyed the extra freedom yesterday not to mention the cooler weather, last week was cooler in mid-Missouri with the highs in the mid nineties, yesterday it was in the mid eighties but it's appears that it's going to start getting warm again next week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by