Tratment of Round Worms with Wazine 17

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DragonFlyFarms1, Sep 5, 2014.

1. DragonFlyFarms1

DragonFlyFarms1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2014
    Southeastern MI
    Producer of Wazine 17
    FLEMING LABORATORIES, INC. P.O. BOX 34384, CHARLOTTE, NC, 28234
    Telephone: 704-372-5613
    Fax: 704-343-9357
    Email: [email protected]
    Directions are as follows per manufacturer as of 09-05-2014………………
    FOR TREATMENT OF ROUNDWORMS (ASCARIDA SPP) IN CHICKENS
    A call was placed to the company and I talked to a staff member who directed me as follows:
    1 oz. to 1 gallon of water (does not matter how many chickens you have)
    GIVE FOR ONE DAY ONLY!!!!
    Give it mixed in the chicken’s water in early am and then remove that night once they have roosted.
    You CAN NOT eat the eggs for 17 days after this medication has been given!
    Do not retreat in 30 days unless you actually see any worms as it is hard on the chicken’s bodies.
    Your chickens coop should be cleaned/sanitized 2 -3 days after your treatment.
    Soap and water is best. You can use bleach but no chickens can be in their coop with the use of bleach. It must air dry after this.
    ** Also remember that chickens eat off the ground if they free range or if in a confined space. Round worms and other potential ova and parasites are always going to be in the soil. So the best prevention is to keep the area clean as possible. Use DE and vitamins help. Also remember to keep their coop as clean as possible. Air flow is important as well. One can also consider a routine worming schedule for spring and fall. Consult your local vet for more information.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My opinion? If you are going to worm, use a broad spectrum wormer. Round worms are just one of many parasites that chickens can get.
    My vet confirmed for me that one of the broad spectrums, Ivermectin, is not really working as it used to, due mainly to overuse in poultry...the parasites are developing an immunity.
    My choice is and has always been Valbazen. Gets every internal parasite that chickens are prone to. It's a little harder to administer because you do have to dose each bird individually, it is expensive (but a bottle lasts a long time), worth every penny.

Valbazen is also the one of the more common wormers used in humans when they get parasites. I find peace of mind in that fact.

3. DragonFlyFarms1

DragonFlyFarms1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2014
    Southeastern MI
    Where do I get this product and any info on administration would be wonderful?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people give an average size chicken 1/2 ml and repeat in 10 days. Here are some sellers online, and if you look in several farm stores you may find it there: https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&sa=X&ei=POYJVJrZA8GYyATZqYCIBQ&ved=0CJQBEL4k

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is another good wormer, and the only worm it does not treat is tapeworm. Many will rotate these 2 wormers at different times of the year. SafeGuard is found more easily, and costs about half, but Valbazen contains more doses.

For either wormer egg withdrawal time is 14 days after the second dose, for a total of 24 days.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You have to order it online. If you're looking to buy something from a store, you can get Safeguard for goats at Tractor Supply.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Valbazen dose is ~0.2 ml per 2.2 pounds
    The one day Safeguard dose I use is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds.

Repeat in ten days for either drug.

-Kathy

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I get Valbazen at my local feedstore, a mom and pop store. Costs me about $40 a bottle, but there is more in that bottle than you can ever use. Just check the expiration date and you can get a bottle that will be good for a couple of years.

Look for it in the cattle or goat section, not in the poultry section. It is used "off label" for chickens.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Easiest way to dose the chickens if you are afraid of accidentally dosing the same bird twice - in cases where you may have two birds that look a lot alike - best done with a helper....
    Go in the coop first thing in the morning, before you turn your chickens out for the day. Draw up the Valbazen in a needle-less syringe, grab up a chicken and push the medicine slowly into their mouth (so they don't aspirate it). If the chicken won't open its beak, tug gently on the wattles, the beak will open. Turn that chicken out to their pen or outside, whichever you do. Proceed to the next chicken.

That's the way I would do it if you aren't quite able to tell one chicken from another. I know each one of my birds by sight, so I usually wait and do it at night, roost time.

The directions given to me by my vet, I believe dawg53 would agree with me, is.... 1/2 cc for a standard sized bird, 1/4 cc for bantams. Repeat in two weeks. Egg withdrawel time (the amount of time you have to discard eggs) is 2 weeks, so 4 weeks total. Unlike Ivermectin which is said to possibly cause feather deformities in birds dosed while molting, Valbazen is safe to use during the molt; meaning less eggs to discard.

I worm every November when egg production is down as a result of molting anyhow.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Southern States carries Valbazen at a good price, but ours just closed unfortunately.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by