Traumatized Roo (Update pg. 1 First post 1-5-10)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tothemoon, Nov 25, 2009.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    About a month ago a dog attacked my lil buff cochin bantam roo. He tore his tail feathers out and some of that area still shows no sign of feathers growing back in. His hens started laying eggs around that time as well. He is now a total terror of a roo. My sweet tiny roo has turned into a mini demon. He is constantly picking fights with my other roos and has lost neck feathers and gotten his comb damaged as well. I keep him in a pen but I let the others out to free range for just a couple hours a day. He still taunts the outside roos so they go up to his pen and fight him. I have him isolated now, even from his own hens because they peck at his tail area where he lost the feathers. He can hardly be handled, when I go to pick him up he goes mad, flying around, trying to attack my face and hands. I have tried holding him, petting him, giving him treats by hand, but he will have none of it. What can I do? I hope I posted this in the right section, wasnt sure where to put "traumatized roo". Please help.

Update 12/24/2009:
    I have put the hens back in with him, and to my dismay, I think the hens are not only egg eaters but they are trying to eat the roo as well! While they were removed from the roo's pen, each hen was placed in with another roo and hen couple. I noticed that the neck feathers of both of those roos were looking like they had been pecked at. The buff roo's feathers were growing back nicely so I took the hens out of the other 2 cages and put them back in with him. I had been thinking that the ruffled neck feathers were from the roos fighting through the cages. Since I have removed the buff hens from the other 2 roos, their neck feathers are growing back. Now the buff roos neck feathers and tail feathers that were growing back, are looking shabby again, with actual scabs from pieces of flesh missing from his neck. I can only conclude that it is the 2 terror hens that are making him look like this. His behavior is much better, I pick him up and rub his belly every day and he now falls alseep in my hands. What I want to know is a hard question for me to ask because I do not know if I am up to the deed or not. Should I try to rehome the hens to someone else or should I just do the deed and end it here? Oh yes, they are now looking like they are actually trying to eat each other as well! With some feathers missing around their necks but no blood or scabs as of yet.

(update 1-5-10) I have been given some advice (from here, thanks everyone) on what may have been causing the hens behavior and since I have been giving them more protein (black oil sunflower seeds and corn cobs, also scrambled eggs) they are behaving much better. No more eating feathers or picking on each other, and they are eating less and less of their own eggs as well. The roo can be handled now, doesnt act mean or anything towards me although he is still skittish about me picking him up but then after I get him in my arms he is ok. He is still trying to fight the other roo's, every chance he gets to be even a little close to them he will try to antagonize a fight. I still need to get his tail and neck feathers grown back out nice and pretty but hopefully now that wont take long.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    you might want to find a way to re-establish his dominance in the flock...

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would keep him Isolated, treat with Electrolytes in his daily water and continue to give treats by hand.
    By keeping him isolated Your his companion/friend. Once he gets where you can safely handle him, then reestablish him with his hens (only).

let me know how this goes for you.

4. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I havent made any headway with this rooster. I try to handle him and he goes crazy. The minute he gets loose he goes to attack the other roosters. I cant let him out into his run while the other roosters are freeranging because he will taunt them and they will fight through the fence. The only good news is his feathers are growing back nicely. I think that if I could find someone that wanted him and he was the only rooster around, maybe he would calm down a bit. I would be willing to give his 2 hens along with him if someone wanted to try. I also think that besides being the only roo, he needs to be able to have a very large inclosure, almost like free ranging but with the protection of being away from predators. If anyone knows of someone that would and could take on this trio, please let me know.

5. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Please see update on first post.

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Try supplementing proteins for the feather plucking girls. I adopted some hens from someone else and they had BAD feather picking probs. Observing them, they were eating all the feathers they picked. I upped their protein and they quit, and all feathered out well.

7. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the info! Gives me a lil hope. What kind of supplementing did you use, fresh food, vitamins or feed?

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I chose Game Bird feed, calf manna, and cat food -- If you have access to all, see which your hens prefer. Mine weren't too keen on the cat food kibbles. They didn't especially like the game bird feed either but I had it on hand for my ducks and quail. The calf manna they went wild for -- but I would mix it with their regular feed. Straight calf manna seemed to give them runny, very stinky poops!! Calf manna is labelled that you can feed it to everything from goats to poultry to rabbits. Here, it's around $25 for a 50 lb. bag, which is more than twice what I pay for regular layer pellets -- about twice what it costs for Layena brand. On the other hand, one bag, used as a supplement, lasts a long time.

9. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    See update on first post.

10. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I finally found some really cheap cat kibble ("Pet Pride", which I got at Fred Meyer / Kroger's) that comes all in the same shape - tiny round pellets, about the size of the end of my little fingertip. This stuff has 30% protein and they go for it first, even when I toss out cracked corn at the same time. I had a very hard time finding any cat food that wasn't X's or O's or fish-shaped etc. At first only one would eat the kibble; then two, and finally the third one got in on the act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by