Travel channel & Bizarre foods

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rooster0209, Feb 25, 2009.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Last night instead of watching the pres address (I know I am bad) we watched Bizarre Foods. DH likes this show.

The host is in Taiwan this episode. He tries stinky tofu and 1000 year old eggs. The tofu soaks in a tub of rotten vegetable matter at room temp for weeks. It looked like a black/green mold thick soup. He said the stench was awful. You guessed it, the taste was so bad he couldnt swallow it.

Then there were the 1000 year old eggs, unborn eggs and chicken uterus's. All of this stuff was cooked in some very unsanitary looking conditions. It is no wonder people get sick.

The last straw for me was....
    they were cooking and eating Silkies. Yes silkies. DH was surprised they have black skin and black bones. (yes I told him, I knew that...ok not the bones part but I knew the skin was)

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    We usually love to watch this program, esp. DD. I am glad we watched the prez instead. DD would have been in tears...

3. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I too, love that show , and we love big ol' Andrew!! [​IMG]
    ...but there are times when we have to look away...
    Am glad I missed the silkie being eaten.....
    Altho...watchin the prez, I had to look away a time or too....

4. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Guess I should explain my last comment....I think it is great that he has been elected, an historic time for us as a people!!! ... I pray that he does a good job and can atleast help to ''save'' our country from the mess we are in ....

When I said I had to ''look away'' it is as a figure of speech ...as in:

I literally can not watch the nightly news now ...when they start talking about ''BILLIONS'' of dollars...??? I literally cant get my head around that much $$ [​IMG] It baffles me!! [​IMG]
    AND then ...when they start talking ''TRILLIONS'', well....my brain just goes , ''TILT TILT TILT'' [​IMG] and I have to just tune it out.
    I cannot comprehend how he or any sitting president , can undo all the damage done to our economy.
    He does makes it sound so simple..
    My intent was NOT to bash Obama, it is not his fault we are in this mess....I just cant grasp the hugh amounts of $$ they talk about ......and how he can hope to fix it......[​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Some chinese people pay a pretty penny for silkies . They use them in medicinal food. I know a amish family that raises them just for the asian market in the Cleveland area

6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Andrew tasted a stinky tofu & cows stomach sandwich. He said his gag relfex wouldnt let him swallow it, it was that bad.

To be fair there are some weird and nasty foods that are native to this area. DH said no one should ever have to eat Lutefisk. DH's father's family is polish and they used to eat Czernina (duck blood soup w/chicken broth) My MIL told her husband no way was he cooking that in her kitchen...and he didnt!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I like that show. A lot of it is really interesting. I like to get glimpses into other cultures and see more about how other people live.

What I like the most is what a nice person he seems to be. People he has corresponded with all over the world seem so genuinely happy to meet him in person. He is very polite and nice to the strangers he meets. He just has a very nice way about him and the way he interacts with people. It makes me feel good to know that when he walks away, the people he leaves behind aren't talking about meeting an arrogant, jerky American. They'll be talking about what a nice man he was. And sometimes laughing about the trouble he had trying to eat something. [​IMG]

8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    We recently rehomed some Silkie roos. DS would tease his sister by asking, "Is MRS. CHEN here to pick up your babies?" [​IMG] "Oh, Im sorry... I meant to say: MRS. CHIN!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by