Travel Insurance.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HarlansHollowFarms, Jan 26, 2011.

1. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Has anyone ever purchased travel insurance from the airlines? We are purchasing airline tickets for overseas, and I have never thought about the insure before now, but since it is scheduled so far in advance, should I get it?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Is it worth it?

2. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Are you talking about the insurance to cover your ticket in case of illness? I usually purchase that kind. Haven't needed it yet (knock on wood).

3. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:Yes, that is pretty much it...I didn't know if it was really worth it, nor does the site say exactly what it covers.

4. Bama chick

Bama chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2007
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I never travel without travel insurance. Find out what it covers if you can. I needed it twice and it covered missed flights, meals in the airport and when our luggage did not arrive it covered items of clothing. Have fun on your trip!
    Lisa

5. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    I always purchase the travel insurance..that covers your tickets, your flights, your luggage and also provides some form of health coverage while you are traveling. When you are out of state, or overseas your health care will most likely NOT cover you if you get Ill or injured..this purchased insurance for travel provides that valuable tool. Don't leave home without it.

Dan

6. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Go to www.tripadvisor.com and click on their forums. They have lots of information about who to buy your travel insurance from. If you participate in certain "high risk" activities the insurance will probably not cover any accidents. "High risk" activities could be para gliding, zip lines, etc. They usually will list what is excluded. If you belong to AAA or another motor club - see what they have to offer you.

Always travel with travel insurance but you must buy it in advance. If you have medical problems or an accident, your health insurance may not cover your transportation back to the States. In Mexico, they require upfront payment - and can be very expensive ($10,000). Get a listing of the US Consulates in the countries/areas you are visiting - keep it with you! If you need help to negotiate healthcare - contact them. Better to be overprepared than wish you had the info.

Having some extra insurance for me is like have a bit of reassurance that IF something goes wrong, I am prepared.

Hope you have fun.

Carol

7. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I did get the insurance after going to the site and reading what was covered.

I wanted to point out that if you buy tickets through Expedia, the insurance they offer appears to be insufficant to cover most long distance fights. I purchased through the airline itself and checked out their insurance independently. They appear to have the best coverage for the money.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by