Travel Trailer coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I wanted a new big coop, but didn't have the funds to build one. One day it hit me, find a travel trailer!!
    It had to be cute, a little vintage trailer. Something fun to fix up, not drain the budget since I wanted to
    do it on the cheap. Here's what I found thanks to a dear family friend. It's bigger than what I wanted,
    16 ft., but is doesn't look as big as it sounds. The inside is full of rat turds and there are bees somewhere
    under the tongue, but I'm soooooo excited about this!! Mostly needs some elbow grease.

I was going to build a coop, dug the footings, then realized I couldn't pound a nail to save my life. So plan B.
    [​IMG]

Went on the hunt for a travel trailer. A friend knew someone (towing business) who had this one. Delivered it for free!
    [​IMG]

Here's my "finder" friend. Trailer has just about every window busted out, a few small tears in the exterior, but overall a great find!
    [​IMG]

Here's the other side. Also has windows on both ends. Lots of ventilation, which I was looking for. Even has a top vent.
    [​IMG]

Here's looking in towards the back. Isn't that ceiling beautiful?
    [​IMG]

Finally, looking towards the front. Door would be up on the right side.
    [​IMG]

May take a while to whip it into shape since I'm already working on a small bantam coop
    and have three small children. BUT I will post pics of my progress. Thanks for looking!

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Very cool. Can't wait to see more.[​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I will borrow your "finder guy". So exciting! I wanna help.[​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I like that. That will be a great project. Can't wait to hear your plans and see pics. [​IMG]

5. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    oh it is so cute.
    awsome find

6. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    Wow - that is got such classic lines, and is so clean, that it is almost a shame to turn it into a coop. I'll bet in So. Cal, you could do a little work on it, and get enough money that you could buy a super sized finished coop and still have profit left over. Either way, coop or rehab, if you want to see some cute paint jobs on classic trailers, look at Sisters on the Fly -www.sistersonthefly.com
    And for prices on classic trailers, look at www.tincantourists.com.

7. anniesmom

anniesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

So cute! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

8. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    that is going to be an awesome coop! What a great find! Can't wait to see it transformed [​IMG]

9. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Good thinking! I have an old ratty horse trailer that started looking like a coop, built in roost, (stall divider) built in nesting boxes (mangers) no longer safe to haul horses in anyway, but I was already remodeling a playhouse.

Funny how when you catch chicken frenzy, everything starts looking like a coop...

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Wonderful!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by