1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Travel with eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinar30, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tinar30

tinar30 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    My kids want to go visit their grandma for the day but I have eggs in a homemade incubator. They're on day 11 right now and will be day 15 if we go. Would it be okay to take my incubator with me? It's only a 15 minute drive so I'm sure with the Texas heat I can keep the temp up but would the drive itself be too much for the babies?

2. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Quite a weird question . Well I would say that they might survive but if it is a bumpy ride than don't take them if its not a bumpy ride than you can take them but make sure they move to much. During this stage the embryo is getting a proper grip on the yolk , it will not survive if shaken so be careful.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just leave them home. Missing a day of turning, especially that late into the cycle, will not be of much concern.

Moving them and jostling them would be horrendously hard on the eggs.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I agree with Fred. Eggs in the process of being incubated should not be exposed to any bumping, shaking, vibrating... you get the drift. It could cause serious damage to the developing embryo, possibly killing it. Rather leave the incubator at home. Turn the eggs just before you go and again when you come back. They will be fine :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by