Traveling chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stina3246, May 18, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    So my husband and I take a small road trip every week to pick up hay for our horses. It's about an hour 1/2 trip 1 way and we LOVE taking our various pets to show to the employees. Everytime we come in they rush over to us asking what we brought today. For us it's an opportunity to educate people about animals (we make other stops along the way and show off our beasties, we especially love being able to let little kids pet them) AND to socialize our animals. It's good for everyone. What I'd like to know is would it be too stressful to take a chicken. My Frizzle cochin is really friendly and I think he's be a great conversation piece. Your average person thinks of RIR or white leg horns when thinking of chickens and have NO idea of the variety.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I cant see why not.. a lot of people travel with chickens to show...so why not a little road trip. I often take my ducks for the drive to my block of land in the country..its a two hour trip..and they dont mind being in the car..

3. PinkieSue

PinkieSue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Land of the Rain, Oregon
    I have a 10 week old frizzle pullet that took a road trip with me to Washington. We were gone 4 days and she did great!! Even made a trip to the farmer's market with my friend that has a booth. She ran around and played with the kids. She was very popular.

4. lilbabychickens:)

lilbabychickens:) Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    The Boondocks
    I run an Ag in the classroom program, and have a therapy dog that goes to my high school once a week with me to be read to by special needs kindergarteners. I also do a poultry science program and travel around the state as a FFA State Officer. I have 23 chickens, but only a few travel. One buff orp, Dolly, a white rock, Frickin Chicken, and Gooden Jr (don't ask... my friend Gooden named her...) a wyandotte go with me. They have been on the road since they were 3 weeks old, right with the therapy dog sometimes! I love it, they travel in a box or picnic basket. They are not just ambassadors for chickens, but agriculture in general. I couldn't be prouder of them, and they do their job awesomely!

5. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    THAT'S awesome. Thanks guys. I'm very happy to hear those stories. That's it, he's going with me on our next trip. He's also gonna be our house chicken.

6. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yay for house chickens! Or any type of chicken for that matter lol. I take Akello with me where ever I go when it is possible. (Can't exactly take her into a grocery store now can I?lol) When I go visit my parents my mom automatically expects to see Akello jumping out of the car when I get there hehe. Dogs and cats go on road trips. Why not chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by