1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Traveling Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rollo4, Nov 29, 2012.

1. rollo4

rollo4 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    I plan on having 2 coops, etc. for the chickens I plan on raising. The coops are about 2 hours apart. Therefore, I will be transporting them back and forth on an irregular basis. My home will be considered their permanent facility. However, when no one is available to watch over them I will bring them with me. The second coop is also our second home which we use with some frequency throughout the year. Weather conditions are similar in both locations; no snow.
    How adaptable are chickens to traveling? I will use a cage(s) to transport them in the back of my pickup truck. I plan on no more than 5 chickens.

2. RossH

RossH Out Of The Brooder

Should be no problem traveling as long as secure & out of draft. As far as coops I'd build both identical so adjustment time to new place is very little. Also same feed basically same everything. Good luck.

3. rollo4

rollo4 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    Should they be in their own space rather than in one large cage? Or one cage with individual compartments?

4. RossH

RossH Out Of The Brooder

Separate carrying compartments keep them from fighting & banging around . If move takes more than a day a fold up roofed exercise pen should go along.
    The home pens as I said should be identical & open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by