Traveling long distance with flock

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
I will most likely be moving south here very shortly. I am actually leaving today to go look at a property that I am very interested in and hope to buy. I do not want to get rid of my flock and want to take them along to the new place. I did downsize to a little less than 50 including chicks. It is about 800 miles away and should take 13 to 14 hours to drive there. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to transport them? Will they be OK to travel this distance? I was thinking to do the transport at night when the will already be sleeping. Should I stop every so often to give them food & water or just let them be to cause them less stress?
I am full of questions on this one! Any ideas will be great!!!

There are a lot of variables in your question. what kind of room in your vehicle, will you have a place for them as soon as you get there? I dont think they would be stressed with out food that long but I would make sure they had plenty of water for the trip. I think the more room you can give them the better they will tolerate the trip. Our chickens do not like changes in their routine, they like the same roost every nite, fed at the same time, to lay in the same nest box amd so on. So the change will be stressful regardless but if you make the trip as comfortable as you can for them the stress should be tolerable for them.

Thanks, That is what I am trying to figure out. We do have a couple of options for transport. In carriers, cages, etc in the van or will they be OK in a Uhaul we rent. DH doesn't think there will be enough ventilation in the trailer so right now we are thinking to put in the van.
Yes, we will have things set up at the new place for them when they get there so it will be a matter of letting them out of the cages and they will be good to go. It is the actual transport I am worried about and the best way to transport them so it will be the most comfortable and the least amount of stress as possible.

I traveled 1200 miles, 24 hours with 27 chickens & 1 duck, in cat/dog carriers, boxes etc. In a van. ALL made it without a problem.
Got some funny looks at the rest area when my rooster were crowing.
lol.png

5 years later loaded up again...only had 8 or 10 this time, 650 miles, 11-12 hours. Again no problem.

I would recommend putting some fruit, watermelon or apples in the crates. That is what some people do when they ship live birds. That is what I did. Not taking any chances opening the crates/boxes until we got to the final destination.

Good Luck !

Great idea about the fruits! Thank you! I was wondering how to give them water without risking a chance of them getting out. Did you also put water in the crates and if so what did you use to lessen the chance of it spilling everywhere?

No water... just fruit. Also could use Zucchini or other squash. They should be fine for a day trip.
big_smile.png

I also used shavings as bedding. Ya know... to try to cut back on the stink.
lau.gif
Vented windows are your friend.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom