1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Traveling to breed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope this is a good place! :) My aunt is my fello chicken addict, and she just called to ask if she could "steal" my BO hen for a week or two so she could breed it with her BO rooster. She would come pick her up, take her home (4.5 hour drive) keep her with her rooster for a week or two and then bring her home. I not sure what I think. Would it be too stressful on the hen? (She's almost 4.) And then there's the whole thing with possible diseases. What are your guy's opinion?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not a good idea in my opinion. Above the possibility of exposure to disease, the move would probably cause your hen to stop laying.

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    That's what I thought. I'm not even sure she is laying much anymore because of her age. (She's molting right now, and it's winter, so I can't tell for sure right now.)

4. RockyFieldsFarm

RockyFieldsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    New England
    Usually the male travels to the female for mating.

5. RockyFieldsFarm

RockyFieldsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    New England
    I've never personally heard of a rooster traveling to a flock.. But why not.... If no diseases or illnesses are suspected. Cattle, goats, sheep travel for stud services. They visit the female on her farm to minimize stress levels for her to help increase a successful copulation.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's a risky plan: mixing birds from 2 flocks for breeding purposes. The risk of introducing disease or parasites is not a risk that I'd be willing to take. And for your Aunt to pin her breeding plans on her BO roo and your 4 year old hen is stretching the likelihood of success. If the hen were 2 years old, maybe even 3 years old... but 4? I wonder how good the hatchability might be of any eggs that she does lay. Would your Aunt be satisfied with some back yard mix chicks? You could find eggs from a local farm, and hatch some. That would give you a nice little surprise package, and decrease the risk of traveling back and forth between flocks for your birds.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I don't think she realized at the time she asked how old the hen was. She is planning on some barnyard mixes, eager even, but she was curious if it would work between our two flocks because I don't have a BO rooster and she doesn't have a BO hen. It looks like we'll have be satisfied with our mixes though.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Mixes are fun, and they have that hybrid vigor that makes them even better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by