Traveling with 4-5 week old chicks - heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sarahal88, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Sarahal88

Sarahal88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    Hi,

I am handing off the 6 chicks I raised for a friend to their new home. They are between 4-5 weeks old, with the oldest looking almost completely feathered and the youngest being kind of 50/50. They will be in the car driving about 3-4 hours to get to their new home, possibly longer depending on our schedules and when we can meet.

Do they need heat, water, or anything else I should know?

Also random side question - I tried giving my chicks in the same age range free choice chick grit for the first time and it is GONE overnight. I am hoping they just made a mess of it but I don't really see any in the shavings. Is it bad if they ate it all? It was a little tea sized plate full. Up til now I was sprinkling it on their food every few days but I heard that will make them eat to much....

2. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    They probably don't need heat but will need water, I think they will be ok if they ate all the grit

1 person likes this.
  3. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I bought a 10 pack of those disposable hand warmers from rite aid for like $2 since they're on clearance now .

I put a couple under a few layers of paper towels under sawdust when I went to pick up my last few chicks since the drive was longer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by