Traveling with Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mendogurl, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    aaaaggggh. Our saga continues.

Our baby chicks were delivered to the wrong address, three hundred miles from where they are supposed to be.
    Thanks to this board (!!!!!!!!), a BYC 'er picked them up from the Post Office, and we drove up to get them.

We were supposed to drive them home yesterday. Bought a converter for the car so we could hang a heat lamp for warmth.
    Three converters later, both cigarette lighters were shorted out.

Spent yesterday afternoon trying to find some sort of battery operated heater. Nothing.

This is where things stand.
    I have 8 foot warmers (the kind you wear inside your shoes in the snow) under a layer of paper towels in the small pet carrier
    we are transporting the babies in. (toy poodle/cat size). The warmers are supposed to get up to 102 degrees. But the inside of the
    carrier is registering at 70 degrees, and the babies are huddling at that end of the carrier. Put a towel over the end to see if that will
    keep in some of the heat.

We also bought a propane camping heater (Coleman). I am nervous about using it in the car.

Help!!! Any ideas ??????

2. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    If the true temp is staying at 70 degrees, your body temp is warmer than that. I don't know how many chicks you have, but you could bundle them in a sweatshirt and hold them close, hold them in your hands and blow warm air on them. Keeping them close to you will warm them up to about 95 degrees. You could also get a hot water bottle and put that with them....rice in a sock in the microwave for 45 seconds works as a cheap alternative, but it needs to be re-heated...also, a rubber glove filled with hot water will work...good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by