Traveling with chicks

Apr 7, 2021
Hello. I'm going to be traveling with 2wk old chick's. I already have a heat pack for the. My question is. Can I put grogel in the box with them? To keep them hydrated? Trip will take 2-3 days.

:welcome I would be more tempted to offer it or water to them on rest stops so that they don't track it all through their carrier. Good luck with the move.

I think they'll need more than just grogel in the box.
Is it extremely necessary that you take them with you (is it a vacantion trip?), can't you at least wait until they're older? 2 week olds are young to affront a stressful trip like that, but they're not like newborn babies that can survive 2 days without food and water (but that' because they rely on the yolk nutrients). 2 week olds are very delicate, they can get chill fast. A trip is also very stressful for chickens, a lot more if they're just chicks. Stress can carry to diseases (like coccidiosis), weakening because they may not eat or drink due to the stress, and lots more things.
If it's extremely necessary, they'll need to eat and drink during the trip, so they'll need light to see, so to stay awake and drink/eat. But is extremely necessary that there aren't any drafts. Can you use a heater that you plug in the car (to add it to the heat packs)?
I don't really know what grogel is, is something like jelly made if water, so it doesn't spill during the trip? If that, I think it may be safer to use it instead of normal water, so they don't spill it and get wet and chilled. Give them plenty of free choice food, too. Also, make some stops during the trip, to check on them, give them normal water in case they don't like the gel, to give them more food, etc.

Hello. I'm going to be traveling with 2wk old chick's. I already have a heat pack for the. My question is. Can I put grogel in the box with them? To keep them hydrated? Trip will take 2-3 days.
I recently took a 300 mile trip one way. The chicks were 5,6,and 7 days old. I have a heat plate and got an inverter to plug the plate into. They did fine. I did not water them until 3 hours into trip and then again when I got to my destination. It is July in the Midwest. I had them in a plastic tote without the lid on it. It was about 74 degrees in the car. 5 days later I made same trip home. They are doing great! Doubled in size while on trip.😍 I write this because I had a hard time finding information on traveling with baby chicks. I was afraid it would stress them out and get sick, poopy butt, or worse. Maybe I am blessed, but they are great. we don’t always know when we have to take a trip.

Back
Top Bottom