Traveling with One Week Old Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SJchickens, Mar 13, 2015.

1. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Hello! We are getting chicks for our first time on March 30th. We are getting 6 (2 Silver Laced and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes + 2 Easter Eggers). We are very excited. They will be one day old.
    A week later, on April 6th, we are going to Buffalo, New York to visit relatives for a week. It takes 8-10 hours to get there. We are wondering if it would be acceptable to bring the 1week old chicks with us. We can arrange to have them taken care of while we're gone if necessary, so the situation is not dire, but it would be preferable for them to come with us.

Thank you!

P.S.

The chicks will not be unsupervised. They will be sitting securely next to us the entire time, They will travel and live in a good sized plastic tote, giving each chick about a square foot each of room (we are aware that this may have to be retired at some point when the chicks get too big, but it should work for two weeks)
    They will also have a Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder (it will be powered the entire trip)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would leave them at home and arrange for someone to look after them. They'll just be getting settled in at your house by the time you leave for your trip, and an 8-10 hour drive will be stressful for them. If you don't need to take them along, I wouldn't cause them any extra stress than necessary.
    Good luck :)

3. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you for your reply :). We will have someone look after them, though it is unfortunate, as we were excited about watching them grow from the start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by