Traveling with snowflake the EE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FluffyPuff, Nov 24, 2014.

1. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE and I are going up to my ranch this morning (she's a backyard chicken and she never been to ranch). She's going to have so much fun as there are so many juicy grasshopers!!! I just finished giving her a bath (and man was that hard, she jumped out of the sink about three times and went crazy and knocked everything off the counter). Now she's in a dog crate with hay and feed and water. The drive is about 2 hours long and she will have to be put in the bed of the truck. Will she be ok back there? Temperature and weather are not an issue as its about 70 F and sunny. We will probably stop at rest stops to give her water (since she will spill it if we keep it with her). She was hatched in may I believe so she's not a chick anymore. Any tips on a safe car ride with her? I hope by me having my question answered it will help others who may be in the same situation one day. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Just make sure she is dry before you start out and she should be okay in the back. I have driven that way with many birds.
    Is she going to live there? She will be very nervous at first, make sure she is a in a safe a fenced area before releasing her from the cage.
    If she is going in with another flock make sure she has places to hide, or keep her in a seperate pen for a few days while she acclimates.

3. FluffyPuff

She won't be living there. There aren't any chickens up there either. Lol She will be with her human flock! We come home tomorrow night. Is traveling there and then back the next day going to make her too stressed?

4. FluffyPuff

We are are leaving in about ten minutes! I let her out of the crate to dry some more in the sun. She still a bit damp.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. FluffyPuff

We are taking her up there for the fun of it. All of our pets are coming so why not the family chicken too?!

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Stress is a big factor for chickens. She may not enjoy it the way that you think. Chickens are not known for their love of new things and changing environments!
    If you are determined to take her, you might just keep a super close eye on her. If she seems scarred or stressed then you can put her back in the cage.
    I don't think the actual trip will be a problem. I don't see how it would be any different than taking a show bird to a fair! Watch her close, I'm sure you will know if she is not handling it well.

7. FluffyPuff

She seems ok. The biggest stress factor for her I think will be the fact that she's riding next to the dogs. My chickens go places all the time and they seem to enjoy meeting new people who pet them as well as new plants and bugs to eat. I'm not saying that you should take your chickens everywhere but this particular flock does very well most of the time. However this is snowflake's first time going anywhere. Cross your fingers that she will handle it like her adoptive parents and sisters do!

1 person likes this.
  8. FluffyPuff

Its been a while since posting on this thread but FYI the trip went well and it seemed like she had fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by