1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Traverse City Attorney's Memo on Michigan Right to Farm Act.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Denninmi, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Traverse City's former City Attorney Karrie Zeits wrote a memo in 2009 that apparently was presented at a council or planning commission meeting. The gist of her memo was that, based upon her research, local governments could NOT prohibit urban/suburban farming, and that "selling one egg" was enough to be considered commercial.

I REALLY, REALLY want to get a copy of this memo, but a lot of searching online has yielded no links to it.

Here is a Traverse City newspaper article that mentions it:

"City Attorney Karrie Zeits researched and discovered the Michigan Right to Farm Act prohibits cities from banning commercial farming, including raising chickens, she said.

A city resident need only sell one egg to qualify as commercial, Zeits said."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...x75075100/Chickens-coming-home-to-roost-in-TC

Does anyone have this document, or know where I can get a copy of it?

I guess I could always do a FOIA to Traverse City municipal govt, but those are such a pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by