traviling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalloverabh, Jul 9, 2010.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

i have got one, 3 week old and two, 2 week old runner ducklings that i have to take somewhere in a car, i used to take them in a hamster cage but now they are too big( and i am using the hamster cage for a brooder for my chick ), so what should i use?
    thank you
    ~ alanna

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I would use a box or dog carrier. Just put a towel on the bottom so they have some traction and don't get thrown around. Also, it is best if the box or carrier isn't too big.

3. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    dog carriers--I've used them a couple times and they work great. I agree with Featherland, use a size that allows for minimal movement. For example, I used a cat carrier for a full grown Rouen--she still was able to turn herself completely around (turning away from having to look at me).

4. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Not sure how well this would work for longer distances but I travelled relatively short distances with my runners when they were about that age. All of it was in the city with lots of stops and turns so a long drive on a highway would theoretically be easier on the ducklings. I had them in a large plastic bin (which doubled as one od their brooders) so they wouldn't make too much of a mess in the car. Since they were so young I didn't want to deprive them of food and water so that seemed to be the best idea. They sit down a lot at that age and I never had a problem with them moving around in the car while driving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by