tray treat suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sahd, Oct 9, 2013.

1. sahd

sahd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    I normally move my Silkie's pen every week or so but have left it in the same spot for a few weeks because I want to kill off the grass there. I'm thinking about leaving it there till winter but want them to have some fresh plants to scratch at/ eat. I have a bunch of seed starting trays and was thinking about planting several with grasses, lettuces, and other greens. Basically I'm looking for fast starting/ growing seeds they would like. I could rotate a new tray in once they demolish the current one. Any suggestions on what would go well in the trays?

Thanks

Dave

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

anything edible. [​IMG]

I did just come across this blogger that grows trays of wheat grass for her chickens. She starts a new tray every day, and they get to have a fresh tray every day. She said that in the warm season, she could have only 6 trays going at a time (so, it would take 6 days for the wheat grass to be an inch or so tall) but when the weather got colder, she had to have a rotating stack of 12 (so it took 12 days from soaking/planting the seed to being able to feed it to the chickens).

I think it sounded wonderful (but now of course I no longer have the page open...so you will have to google and see if it comes up if you want pictures etc.)

I am thinking I might try it myself.......but I haven't yet decided where and how to set it up......

point being, anything that is grown for human consumption is usually great for chickens, and if you give it to them, they will be thrilled and eat it.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

5. sahd

sahd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    Thanks guys. That was just what I was looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by