Trays for growing fodder

BReeder!

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
My Coop
I came across these trays on Amazon (have not purchased yet) that look they would would fit right into my gardening starter trays and I already have a 4 tier rack with grow lights and some heat mats. These mat's have me thinking about growing fodder after the garden starts are out of there. Has anybody used them? Have an opinion on them? Have general thoughts on fodder? I was thinking of just using wheat grass seed, but could mix it up if I can source other seeds cheaply in bulk so I'm open to recommendations there too.

Here's the trays that got me thinking about all this:
https://www.amazon.com/BeGrit-Seedl...refix=silicon+seed+start,aps,137&sr=8-80&th=1
1644853446761.png

I've never used those.

I am growing fodder again this winter. Last year I did barley, and it did very well. I also tried chia, and it didn't do well at all.

This year, I'm growing fenugreek, just for something different. My set up is a small (5" dia) terra cotta saucer sitting in a pie pan of water. I put about 1 teaspoon of seeds in it, and that was plenty. Obviously, this isn't a lot, but I am limited in what I can do on the kitchen counter, as that's the only place with some direct fluorescent light, which is all I have.

Here are a couple pics:
IMG_E2087.JPG

IMG_E2086.JPG

This was my first go around with fenugreek, and I had nearly a tablespoon of seed. Way too much. When I took this out of the saucer, there were a lot of mushy seeds in the bottom.

That looks similar to a plastic seed starting tray that I hate because it's too weak to support itself when lifted. I want a 3rd arm every time I pick it up.

If you don't need something very deep I recommend scouring thrift stores for roasting pans and cookie sheets. Been working well for starting seeds for me and stable enough to move into the greenhouse. And back to the house. And into the greenhouse. And back to the house...and into the greenhouse...

I am learning daily and having a great time experimenting with what the girls like to eat. I want to try a suet type treat next, but I think cold weather would be better for this. I have done sprouts and fermented seeds, currently starting the first trays of whole wheat fodder. Interesting days, enjoying everyone's ideas.

Attachments

• chicken feed.jpg
    chicken feed.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom