Treadle feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by McKennA, Mar 11, 2015.

1. McKennA

McKennA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2014
  2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    No, but the price sure looks right.

3. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I have 2, each takes 40kg. I had to drill holes and insert 2 springs in them to make sure rats can't open them
    But I just love them, I only need to add pellets once every few weeks. zero waste. wild birds can't use them and I don't see any signs of rodents.
    The green plastic is galvanised steel in my feeders but they should be similar, I have them sheltered from rain.
    NB. not good for mash as hens will waste a lot of feed looking for the stuff they like

4. McKennA

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks Naser. I might give them a try. Better price than Grandpa's feeder which is $195

5. Raggedyroad

Raggedyroad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2015
    Utah
    What brand are you using? I have also been looking at the Hog Slat brand but they are brand new to the market and no reviews yet. At least none that I can find.

6. Raggedyroad

Feb 4, 2015
    Utah
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. Raggedyroad

Feb 4, 2015
    Utah
  8. McKennA

Feb 12, 2014
    I purchased two of the Hogslat feeders. I love them. I fill them and they last a few weeks. There have been no injuries to my chickens. I have a covered run, but even with that there have been several episodes of sideways rain where the feeders have gotten wet, and the food has stayed dry. I plan to get a third in the spring because some of my bossier chickens like to chase the lower chickens off the feeders, just for grins and giggles it seems. I will probably only have to fill once a month with three feeders. I have 12 chickens.They can and will feed two at a time, the ones that aren't full of themselves that is.

1 person likes this.
  9. Raggedyroad

Feb 4, 2015
    Utah
    Thanks for that response. I was hoping to hear from someone who had purchased that exact feeder. Did you purchase the 26lb or the 44lb?

I have 9 hens, do you think one feeder will be adequate? My 2 Wyandottes are somewhat like you describe your bossy hens. One in particular likes to chase the smaller ones off.

10. McKennA

Feb 12, 2014
    When I purchased mine, they only had the 26lb. One would work, but two would be better:) There will be a lot of jockeying for position. My two bossiest hens are Wyandotte's as well. One will have a feeder all to herself, hear another hen step on the other feeder and go chase her off that one. So round and round they go, and nobody gets to eat much. I imagine as the day wears on they settle down and take turns.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by