Treat choices in cold weather...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nicole63021, Nov 12, 2013.

1. nicole63021

nicole63021 Chillin' With My Peeps

As the weather gets more of a chill, I am starting to wonder what kind of treats everyone offers with the changing season. Have been giving the veggies and yogurt, feeder insects and some liver, but wondering if it would help to offer scratch grains. If so, which grains? They are on a whole grain food (Scratch and Peck brand) already, and eat it EAGERLY [​IMG]. Would more liver and organ meat be better, or more carbs? I know carbs help pack on weight a bit better, but not sure if it or the meat would be better. Thanks everyone!

2. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    This will be my first winter with chickens. From what I've been reading it's my thoughts that you just need to keep them well fed to keep them warm and happy.

As to treats, it's my thought that I will be trying to supply things that they can't get on their own anymore. In the summer they get to free range for an hour or two most days, plus I throw them lots of stuff from the garden all summer. But in the winter even if they get out they won't have access to as much green stuff and bugs. So I'm going to try and supply those types of things for winter treats. I've read that hanging a head of cabbage in the run will give them greens as well as something to do for many hours. I'm raising mealworms for them and also still have frozen cicada's from this years hatch. I plan to check with my local grocery store produce department to see if I can score some free or really cheap fruits and veggies that are too old to sell.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no need to change their diets.
    Their body temperature isn't going to change at all

4. tmac1208

tmac1208 Out Of The Brooder

Mine love oats, the quick oats, they will eat dry, but I know of a bunch of people that actually make up the oatmeal or porridge and wait until it is really cooled off and give to their flock on a cold morning to warm them up. I haven't tried this yet, but planning to as we have had frost now just about every morning this week with frozen water dishes, still no snow yet...

5. nicole63021

Okay, so what I've been doing is just fine? So many people say they need a little "extra" to help in the winter. First timer in winter, lol. They all seem to be doing just fine so far, and I'm only concerned really about the EE and the CL, all the others are known winter hardy breeds. Going to have to worry about the Brahmas in the summer though......

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I agree. They don't need anything special.

That being said, I love to give them warm oatmeal in the winter. I will make a huge bowl of it and add corn, raisins, and whatever we have leftover in the fridge. I also will cook them spaghetti squash when I can get it cheap at the farmer's market and give that to them warm. I know it's not necessary, but it makes ME warmer watching them enjoy it!

7. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

One my girls favorite breakfast is warm oats, with yogurt, greens and any table scraps that are left over. They go crazy for this warm mash.

8. nicole63021

Okay, thanks everyone! Figured I'd ask here, most of the old timers around that I've spoken to say to give more scratch, the extra carbs help. Didn't know how sound it was, guess not so much.....I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Was thinking I would add some sprouted grains and/or fodder for winter though, since they won't be getting as much green with the cold and snow (that we normally get).

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They say that because when they were young, the "old timers' said that to them and so on and so on............

And it sounds reasonable, so it keeps getting repeated

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  10. nicole63021

That's why I asked here! Old timers are great for some stuff, but not always up to date, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by