Treat entire flock with corid or not?

glassdragonfly

Crowing
Sep 3, 2019
Ozark,mo
Hi All, Thanks for all your help with my little hen. Sadly she passed last night:(. She was the only chicken sick but should I treat the rest with corid or not? She has been separated in a cage but when it was cooler the cage was in the coop. Now due to a brazen fox everyone is locked up. I've lost 5 chickens in the last month,3 girls to soon to be dead fox and this chick and her sibling. Feeling like a rotten chicken mom and I just want to do the right thing here. Thanks

It depends. If they are all the same age (i.e. chicks) and you know one died from coccidiosis then yes, treat them all. I'm a little confused because you referred to the one that died was a hen.
If there are multiple ages then perhaps not necessary. Any adult birds (hens) that have been on the same property have surely already developed resistance by now.

Hi All, Thanks for all your help with my little hen. Sadly she passed last night:(. She was the only chicken sick but should I treat the rest with corid or not? She has been separated in a cage but when it was cooler the cage was in the coop. Now due to a brazen fox everyone is locked up. I've lost 5 chickens in the last month,3 girls to soon to be dead fox and this chick and her sibling. Feeling like a rotten chicken mom and I just want to do the right thing here. Thanks
I'm sorry for your loss! I know how terrible it feels. I've lost so many to various things. That's just the chicken mama life:( . I would treat the whole flock with a preventative dose to be safe and if any develop or have symptoms I would continue it.

It depends. If they are all the same age (i.e. chicks) and you know one died from coccidiosis then yes, treat them all. I'm a little confused because you referred to the one that died was a hen.
If there are multiple ages then perhaps not necessary. Any adult birds (hens) that have been on the same property have surely already developed resistance by now.

Thanks,i was really hoping she'd pull through. ChickenCanoe,Sorry for the confusion,I say hen but she was only 4 month old. I have a mixed up flock. All have hatched and lived here or next door(stepsons) except one,a silkie that was given to me 2 years ago.
Hawkie-very old roo
3 barred rock hens,1 around 5 and 2 around 3
3 year old mixed breed hens
3 5 month old chicks(all hatched and brooded by my hens)
This last chick that just passed and her sibling were hatched under a hen at my stepsons,he brought them to me because they had slipped tendons and bent toes. I have given wazine 17 to all the chickens,his and mine.Now getting acv water. But everyone is doing fine,just a little stressed because I have them locked up due to the fox. I know I can get the corid to mine but I can't get it to all of my stepsons.One day thing like the wazine was easy because he lets his out about noon due the hours he keeps.Some of my hens go to visit his roos and some of his younger chickens come down here to get away for the bossier ones he has. Just cleaned the coop and run this morn and all looks good. Just worried I will make another mistake. If I can't corid all the chicken in the area would mine be more susceptible when I can let them out? Maybe I'm just be paranoid now,The two chicks that passed were not "right" from the start.
I feed layer crumbles and cracked corn,plus scraps and extra stuff from the garden.Nothing moldy or bad. Chicks get starter and scrambled eggs. Got a cantaloupe for them today. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom