Treat Experiment

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have been thinking a lot about all the discussions about treats. Some of the discussion I have a hard time relating to, in part because I have not tried them all. Secondly some assertions about treats are not accurate. Most importantly, the assumption is all are inferior to commercially produced feed, at least in terms of nutritional quality. With at least some like those derived from insects, well that ain't correct. The commercially produced feeds are simply more economical.

Why use treats? A reward for a given behavior, usually to come to you when the chickens are called. Lets see which of the following gives the best results in terms of what chickens prefer when presented in a pair-wise fashion.

Live Meal Worms
Dried Meal Worms
Scrambled Eggs
Yogurt
Oatmeal
Scratch Grain Mix (cracked corn and millet)
Shelled Corn

These birds may be the subjects of trial. Coworker trying to get them to roost up quicker while in brooder before moving out into coops / chicken tractors. This all started before pandemic so do not know how everything will work if things get bad.

IMG_2020-03-23_05-01-45.jpeg

They will be moved out shortly into pens in field before I am ready. If so then a group of younger chicks in incubator at work or home will be used. My American Dominiques might be easier as it can all be done in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom