Treat for coccidiosis?

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
5 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
During the big melt here a week ago all my chicks and pullets were out in the mud @60°f. Drinking from puddles, eating earthworms(should I be worried about the worms?).

Yesterday I saw one Cochin with some liquidy poop on her feathers. Today there are 2.

Everyone's normally active. One or two seemed possibly less interested in their FF. They accepted a morsel of it by hand though.

No blood but more than usual of loose looking poop. Not remarkable looking, just looser than usual really.

Any harm in doing a round of corid to be safe? The ones I'm watching are 14 weeks old.

Corid is mild and won't hurt them if you treat. If you feel that Coccidiosis overload is the culprit of the loose stools, then give them the outbreak dosage of 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

If you have a vet that can perform a fecal float that would be another option as well.

There are several strain of Coccidia in chickens and if I remember, only 1 shows up as visible blood in the stool. Some other symptoms would be loose dropping with mucous, lethargy, having a disheveled appearance, huddling/fluffing up, loss of balance and going off feed.

Earthworms are host to internal parasites (worms:D), but if you have a fecal float once/twice a year to rule them in/out they should be fine. Some people do routinely de-worm a couple of times a year, but testing will help you avoid treating unnecessarily (not to mention throwing away eggs when you don't have to).

Thanks @Wyorp Rock I'm in the coop right now and found this. Will read your advice in a minute.
20180116_152035.jpg

Too late to find out if the vet will test it today. But I'll get an answer first thing tomorrow. I'm guessing he likely will be willing to do that. Better to wait until after on the corid you think? Likely I wouldn't be able to start until tomorrow night if I wait.

Back
Top Bottom