Treat Idea - Pics included!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aoxa, Feb 21, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Okay, so really.. I'm not the first who has thought of this, but lettuce was on blowout this weekend, and I went nuts. I bought 18 of them. Crazy? The chickens don't think so! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Okay, so what I did was put a screw through the hard part of the lettuce, tied it to a scarf (I couldn't find anything better! :p) and hung it from a rope that runs across my barn. They went crazy! It got them moving around, and was entertaining to watch. Also, can you see what's wrong in this picture? HINT: Forgot to put the top back on the garbage can (which holds the food). :rolleyes:

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    looks good. And 18 heads of lettuce will last, oh, maybe 3 days?

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

If it was up to them, maybe 3 days :gig

I am trying to make it last a bit longer than that :p They sure love their greens in the winter! My egg yolks are so dark :D

4. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    HINT: Forgot to put the top back on the garbage can (which holds the food). [​IMG]

It's funny how observant a chicken can be ,lol

5. aoxa

Yes, and she is usually the only one that will get right in there. I shouldn't have it next to a straw bale. It's way easier for her to see it :p

6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    My spoiled hens reject all salad greens - I am printing out your photo and showing it to them tomorrow!!

7. aoxa

Mine did too right up until the snow covered all grass :)

8. RMBGKY

RMBGKY Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    Mine will eat lettuce only as a last resort and will not touch celery. They love kale and turnip greens.

9. aoxa

One of my girls completely wiped out on the ice today trying to get to my friend fast enough when she spotted the lettuce he was carrying. No worries. Her back-end is still intact :gig

10. Englishjodes

Englishjodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    I have a raised mini veggie patch, which I planted loads of lettuce from seedlings and have given me months of lettuce leaves to give my 2 chickens and duck.
    Only moments ago... I caught Xena up on the raised veggie patch. She has just realised she can get up and help herself instead of waiting for me to get lettuce for her!
    She wont be able to get much, it was 38 degree C here and the veggies have dried and died.
    But she such a pickle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by