Treat ideas for 2 1/2 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdy_num_nums, Jun 14, 2008.

1. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    So far I've tried live moths, scrambled egg bits, finely-torn spinach leaves, a slice of tomato, and large, peeled apple chunks. The first two items they loved, the rest they checked out then decided "naw".

I'd like to give them something to do in their brooder. Are there some grains that would be ok to sprinkle around in there for them to scratch for? Other treats that could serve double-duty in keeping them entertained as well as extra nourishment?

2. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    No, they are too young for that and should only be eating their starter feed and perhaps a very small amount of oatmeal or yougurt only once or twice a week. Perhaps you could try taking them outside for a little while during the day if is not to hot.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Our chicks liked yogurt. When they get a little bigger, try some watermelon. That's always a hit.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I'll ask this question again as I keep getting no answer and cant find an answer searching...

at 6 weeks of age, what are some good things to start them out with as far as treats? I dont want to cause tummy troubles.

5. Flowerchick

Flowerchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Eastern Shore of MD
    Mine loved rolled oats, small mealworms, small crickets and GRASS! As long as your yard has not been treated with chemicals, pull a handful of fresh grass and give it to the chicks--and watch the fun! A small dish of parakeet grit at this age will allow them to digest treats. [​IMG]

6. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    My older girls are 5 weeks old and they have had the following treats over the past few weeks: yogurt, leftover rice cereal from the baby, grass, clovers, pineapple (large piece for them to pick at), grapes, june bugs, catepillars, lettuce, bread, scrambled eggs, and macaroni and cheese! [​IMG] None of them have had any digestive problems and they see to love almost everything! Watching them play chick keep-away is the best! [​IMG]

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Yes chick keep-away is so fun to watch! With this nice summer weather, a field trip outside is a grand and glorious treat! Even if its just for a 1/2 hour. And take pictures of your little darlings. Its so much fun to watch them grow up in pictures after they've turned into noble hens and roos.

8. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We've given ours flour tortillas. The're cheap, soft for them to tear up, seem to keep forever in the fridge and are easy to digest. They really love them.

9. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Mine are 6 weeks old, and they love chopped boiled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, grass clippings, lettuce, and watermelon so far.

10. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I'm interested in the flour tortillas - how old where the chicks when they got them first? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by