Treat Ideas For 3 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haley Clark, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    My chicks are 3 weeks old and they are to the point where they are wanting more that just chicks starter. Any ideas on homemade treats for them?[​IMG]

2. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    You can give a little scratch grains, or cooked rice, or even buy meal worms. . Chicks like to explore the grass and fing treats of their own too.

3. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks! Are there any veggies like lettuce or something I could give them?

4. MelSoCity

MelSoCity Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine are the same age and love smashed up hard boiled egg (sounds morbid I know, but it's good for them) and tomato. With the tomato I slice a piece and lay it on a plastic lid. They just peck at it as they wish.

1 person likes this.
  5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Any veggies, but remember the higher the water content of the veggie, the runnier their poops will be after eating said veggie...a 3 week old chicken can eat just about anything that an adult chicken can...just make sure it is in small pieces, and if the chicks aren't able to go outside and peck the ground make sure to give them some grit before any hard type treats. Mine like small carrot chunks, and lettuce, and worms I find in the yard. They also like sprouted sunflowers, and well chicken things. They are easier to figure out treats for than my picky adult birds. I picked up some millet seeds and they seem to like those. You could also just get a bag of the songbird seed, it is usually super small bits that are great for scattering around for the chicks to look for. There are all kinds of treats and such at grocery stores and what not with the other bird and guinea pig stuff.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by