TREAT MIX .... They Eat to the last grain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SteveBaz, Sep 23, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Are you guys fed up with some of the wasted foods?

I just got 1lbs. of 5 grain mix to try from the Urban Farm Store on Monday and so far all they like is the mill and another grain I do not recognize. I want them to eat everything in the mix I buy. It is such a waste of money to throw all the scratch down to have it settle in the dirt and never be eaten bc the birds do not like it. I read a post that some of you buy from a grocery store in bulk and not a feed supply. We have a big store like that here in town called Winco Foods that has a section in it with barrels of grain. I mean maybe 60 to 75 barrels of bulk foods.

So, which 2 to 4 grains do you folks use?
    Which mix should I try? I am lost as to which ones to try. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here.
    What are your top picks in grains chicks like?

Chicks bc my 2 flocks of 3 birds each are different ages but still under 12 weeks and 5 weeks. I am assuming they will like different grains as they become adults.

Thanks for your mixes to try

Steve

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I can't see buying anything that the birds don't eat. Chickens think that scratch is a real treat. Just buy that, make the birds happy and save some money.

3. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We have Silkies and purchase Scratch Grain from TSC and they love it. They come to the Gate when they see us. We usually give them some daily. It is our way of getting to know them
    and they know us. Time for pick-up and enjoy them. Make friends. Regards, Aria

4. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I did the same thing- I brought a 50# bag of organic scratch mix that had lots of different grains in it. THEY HATE IT! What a waste of money, they just peck out a few things and thats it. I recently started to buy them meal worms and it's like a feeding frenzy, nothing wasted ever [​IMG] I think from now on I will just stick to scraps and mealworms.

Good Luck

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    mine love millet, black sunflower seed and corn- with the scratch, what they don't eat the guineas eat

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's interesting that you get a lot of grains in scratch. I get whole wheat and cracked corn.. Same as scratch has been for 50 years.

If your birds don't like scratch, buy a bag of coarse cracked corn. As a treat only, not part of the diet.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I only toss out enough that it is all gone in five minutes. It's the corn that some of mine don't care for. Others will snag it up quick. Maybe try giving them less for a treat to see if the might eat it then.

8. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:There is something to say about that. Ultimately I want them to eat the good and healthy feed. I swear they used to be really more excited. I Like the idea of not having it every day or at the same time daily to get them to miss it. or like mentioned give them even less so it really consumed.

I have been just throwing it down in a specific spot morning after morning.

Thanks for getting me out of a rut in they way I am feeding the girls.

Steve

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have my mix on my BYC page.

If you wet a small amount of it - let it soak for an hour- they will LOVE it. They will get used to it.

10. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:NICE thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by