Treat Muffins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hosspak, Oct 2, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    So, I just baked up some treat muffins for my flock. Here is the list of ingredients;
    2 cups Layer crumbles.
    2 cups scratch.
    4 recycled brown eggs. (They like the chocolatey taste)
    2 packages of Flax seed/cranberry oatmeal. (My wife's all-natural very expensive breakfast, shhh!)
    2 cups light corn syrup.
    2 tbsps cayenne pepper. (saw it in other recipes???? [​IMG])
    3 cups water.
    3 cups brown sugar.
    2 cups of ground oysters and recycled egg shells.
    1 cup Strawberry/banana yogurt.

Mix all together. Adjust thickness with more syrup or more oats if needed here.
    Lightly grease muffin pans, (I should have used the foil or paper cupcake thingies because my wife will never use those pans again if she ever finds out, again, keep it on the down low). Spoon mixture into muffin cups to just below the top rim and smooth the tops flat (so they would fit into my homemade treat mesh boxes and this should help when flipping them out. (I assume) Cook them in the oven at 350 for 25 mins. This should be enough to get the middles solid, if not add some thyme or time.......Whatever...
    I will post a follow up with the outcome; baking and if the groupies approve. Thanks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Thanks for sharing!! Gonna have to try making some for my girls!![​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like you should have some happy chickens. Good way to get some extra calcium into older hens. Any particular reason for the corn syrup / brown sugar? As long as you don't try to feed the muffins to your wife and she figures out where her oatmeal went, you should be OK.

4. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    They smell wonderful and look amazing! This should be a great winter treat.

[​IMG]

5. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    They do smell just like Grandma's old fashioned oatmeal cookies....except for the egg/oyster shells and cayenne pepper, and the scratch feed, and the layer crumbles.....Except for that they are almost the same...[​IMG]
    I thought the sweetness would be a treat as well as help bind everything together. I put them in the greens gages this morning....they were a hit to say the least. [​IMG]

She's none the wiser, yet. [​IMG]' ' ' 'duh!!!

6. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I laughed out loud so many times to this thread....[​IMG]

Good recipe though, I'm going to have to try it for my chicky-babes. [​IMG]

7. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I haven't been out yet this morning, but they were pecking away at them. They seem to like them and they seem to last for awhile....

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sadly for the humans, they do look quite appetizing, those cranberries add just the right touch of color, I can see why you borrowed your wife's oatmeal. Dunno how grandma would feel about comparing those to her famous oatmeal cookies though, she'd have to be really really peeved at grandpa to use that recipe.
    Lucky chickens to get plums, did knock down some pears for ours, they like them also.

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for sharing! I will try this with my flock when I have time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by