Treat suggestions to encourage good behavior

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gaillardia, May 17, 2010.

1. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    My 3 month old pullets usually run over when I call them and I want to encourage this behavior. They sometimes check to see why I am making noise, but don't bother to come to me or follow me. I figure that giving treats when I call will help. Any suggestions of treats that they will love, but are also good for them?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They don't care what it is as long as it's food.

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    mine are nuts over bread- i break off little pieces of wheat bread and roll it into little balls as I say "chick chick chick" they come when called- every time.

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    The treat can be any thing they like.. From fish to pasta to worms or bugs. For me it is all about the bucket. I just tap the side of the white feed pail to get their attention and they come running from far and wide. (birds free range) I am in the process of teaching the 5 week old chicks that are starting to free range how to come when I tap the bucket.. The young ones get side tracked easily..[​IMG]
    So it will take some time.
    ON

5. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:"All about the bucket," is the absolute truth. I use the same bowl every time and as soon as they see it they know to race me to the run. It's a good tool for getting them back in the enclosure if I have to rather than waiting for them to go in at night. Sometimes they just have to be contained...like when a friend shows up with their little kids...and I just pull out the bucket and whatever leftovers are in the fridge that could go. For nutrition value go with greens or sunflowers or meats, for entertainment go with spaghetti.

6. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    I don't know why I did not think about using the same container. I use a specific bowl tap to call the cats in and a treat bag rustle gets the attention of my rats.

I can't wait to try the noodles with them! Thanks for the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by