Treat whole brooder for wry neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yoopergirl1211, Jun 16, 2017.

1. yoopergirl1211

yoopergirl1211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    Hey guys I believe I have a couple chicks with wry neck. I have everything I need and will start treating now but should I treat everyone in brooder? Is there a way to tell who might have it before they neck gets bad? Everyone is 1 to 2 weeks old many different breeds as well as turkeys.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    What do you have on hand to treat with?

3. kitkat5505

kitkat5505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Utah
    I had 1 out of 11 with it and I gave her vitamin e separately but let them all drink the save-a-chick electrolytes.

4. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    Vitamin e capsules, electrolytes, and selenium. I think I spelt that right. I'm not clear on the early warning signs. And why they even have it.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are you feeding them? Can you check your dates on the feed sack? Vitamins can leech out if setting on the shelf awhile. Did you hatch all of the chicks yourself? I would make sure that I was giving them thiamine (vitamin B1,) vitamin E, and the mineral selenium ( found in egg, seeds, and nuts) to treat the wry neck symptoms. You may need to hold them to make sure they are getting enough to eat several times a day. Feeding egg mixed with chicken feed and water is a good way to get enough into them. Here is some reading:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck.97121/

6. yoopergirl1211

Dec 12, 2016
    Erie PA
    They are hatchery chicks. Getting normal starter and vitamins in water. I'm having a horrible time with these guys. The barred rocks or so fragile. Can I give them some of the thiamine I have for goats ? I have been mixing brewers yeast to food because I had one with leg problems. Had to treat with corrid as well. And one had Angel wing! I swear I'm doing everything I normally do but I just keep loosing them. Only one has really bad twit to neck. Other one looks like its going too and i have four that are lethargic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by