Treat worms or cocci first? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GGchick, Oct 25, 2010.

1. GGchick

GGchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi, I have a 6 month old hen with green runny poo, empty crop, still active and eating, but slower and less than my other hens. After reading all over the forum and internet, I've determined I need to worm her. But in doing all this reading, I came across a description of "rusty" looking poo. My other hens have this. The white caps have a rusty "tarnish" on them. I read this is a sign of cocci. Argh! So, should I worm first, then treat for cocci? Vice versa? Can I treat both at the same time? I don't want to overwhelm their systems!

Background: All hens are 6 months old, get monthly ACV in their water, get yogurt 2-3 times a week, have DE in their coop litter, run, dust bath box. I thought I was doing everything right but have never wormed them, and now realize I should have. :-( I have so much to learn!

Thank you!

2. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sometimes green and runny just means they've been eating a lot of greens, especially if they free range. Are you sure they're wormy?

3. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    No, I'm not sure. They free range a couple hours a day, but there isn't much green out there since we're in a drought. All the grass, etc., is brown. It's very bright green and "mucusy." And her crop always feels empty, when my other girls' crops are very full. ????

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I'd worm first as worming is very easy, low risk and something that many do as a preventative any way. Then if that does not fix matters move on to other treatment options.

5. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    So disgusting, yet so helpful!! Thank you! The green poo looks much like what this link shows as possible worms -- and similar symptoms. But, it looks like the rusty poo (they call "coral") I am seeing from my other girls is normal! YAY!
    Thanks everyone for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by