Treated for roundworm, is this normal reaction??? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by friends4Marley, Jan 3, 2013.

1. friends4Marley

friends4Marley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    I brought one of my Buff Orps inside because she sounded wheezy and was sneezing a lot. So I treated her with oil of oregano, and some put some Vicks on her nose. The next day I noticed worms in her feces, much like the first picture (that is not hers, I don't have a picture of hers) so we treated her with piperazine. That was yesterday, last night she had another poo with worms in it, and this morning her feces is all bloody (it looks different than just the normal intestinal lining poops). I took a picture of it (that is the second picture. Can anyone tell me if she is having a serious problem? I have never treated my flock for worms before, so this is new to me. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    That doesn't look like blood. I read in Gail Damerow's book that stomach worms are bright red and can be seen through the stomach wall because they are so bright. I wonder it that is a worm and the dewormer got it out of the chickens body?? Does it look like a worm?? I'm sure its not common but just checking.

3. friends4Marley

Jun 24, 2012
    Thank-you for responding! I actually read somewhere that the female worms are red, I hope that this is just the treatment working, and expelling the worms. ??

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If they are worms then yes the treatment is working. Keep a close eye on her because if its not worms it could be coccidiosis and that wouldn't be good.

5. friends4Marley

Jun 24, 2012
    Thank-you :). I looked that up and now I am REALLY hoping it is worms! She is inside with us though so we will watch her.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    It's my understanding that chickens will occasionally shed portions of their intestinal lining and it's perfectly normal for them to do so. The picture in the "poo chart" - link attached - of shed intestinal lining looks very similar to your picture. You'll have to scroll down for the picture = http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Hope that all is well for your chicken!

7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I would treat with valbazen as the wazine does not treat all worms. See the link in my signature line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by