Treated w Ivermectin on Sunday..how long before eggs safe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jsimplytx125, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    :frowHello O wise ones,
    Sunday, I treated my whole flock with pour on Ivermectin in recommended doses, (5 to 7 drops) on my huge RIRs and need to know when I can start eating the eggs again?
    My birds are laying huge eggs, love it, but I'm afraid to eat them. Also is it ok to maybe boil them and feed to dogs?
    Thanks for all your wisdom. [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

typical is 10 to 14 days. People do feed the eggs to their animals, just helps worm them also.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I'd be carefull feeding them to your dog(s) if your dog(s) is a herding breed. It's possible that it could hurt them. Some herding dogs that are decended from the collie have a genetic mutation that makes Ivermectin toxic to them. You can find out for sure by having them tested--WSU does it, you can request a test kit from them online, I think it costs around $70. My son's Aussie had mange when he was a puppy (mild and he outgrew it) the standard treatment is Ivomec, but we couldn't use it because of the possibility that he carries the lethal gene. I don't know how much would be found in the eggs of a treated hen, but the vet told us if he was positive for the mutation even a small amount could harm or kill him.

ETA: I'd feed them to my lab mix and the cats, just wouldn't want to risk it on the Aussie.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  4. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yikes Kittymom, thanks! I have a Border Collie and Sheltie.
    I am going to feed all eggs to Cats and Chihuahua. Abby and Ricky will have to be content (with longing) to watch the others chow down.

That's why I love you guys so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by