Treated with Tylan for respiratory issues now no eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whinny2, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Whinny2

Whinny2 New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    About 14 days ago I noticed sneezing, coughing, and watery eyes. I read a lot on here and decided to do the Tylan injections. I started treating everyone (9 hens ages 22 weeks to 3 years and one 2 yr old Rooster) I lost a baby 22 weeker on day two of treatment and then an older hen on day 4. I treated everyone for 5 days and the rest of them seem to be doing fine now. Last injections was 9/13, and since then I think I have gotten 6 eggs out of the 7 remaining hens. I used to get 4-5 a day and I think the babies started laying right before the outbreak. Has anyone ever had Tylan reduce egg production? I do see a lot of feathers now so is it a coincidence that they may be molting? Or are they just still stressed out from the shots? They really didn't like it. LOL I am in WI and nights are getting down in the 50's some. I am going to stop and get some meal worms so if it is a molt I can help replace some protein. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Respiratory illness by itself can cause a drastic reduction in egg production and cause laying glitches for a while.

You used to get 4-5 eggs out of 9hens, but your even not sure if the 22wk olds were even laying before you started treatment for illness.

It is getting close to molting season, 22wks-depending on which breed, they may have not even started to lay yet.

Provide some poultry vitamins in their water and extra protein either by feeding a commercial all flock formula or with eggs, tuna, mackerel or meat. Give them some time to recover.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    HELP......Hi, I also have some respiratory issues going on. I bought 2 new 3-month Easter Egger pullets that were sick.i didn't realize it until the next day and being a chicken novice, I just put them in with my other girls ages 5/6 months - 2 years. Well, my 2 5/6 month girls are all snarky sounding and sneaking. I don't see any discharge from their nostrils. The 2 Easter Egger girls actually have a NASTY, NASTY, NASTY fishy (Dead Sea animal) smell with discharge coming from the nostrils. I have been giving the 4 of them 1 ml of penicillin (orally) a day now and we're on day 9 now with no real changes for the better. Any suggestions??? Should I try Tylan? And do I HAVE to inject that for best results? I'm just not comfortable giving a chicken a shot. They are so boney! HELP! I have another issue about how the girls pecked the hell out of one of the EE's as well. They pecked her to the muscle. You can see where the skin parted. It was a bloody mess. I've been spraying a topical antiseptic on her as well as the purple cover spray. She seems okay but it is a very deep and bad wound. Will she make it?? HELP!!! You guys are awesome!!! [​IMG][​IMG] Thanks, Laurie

4. Whinny2

Whinny2 New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    Yes I had 3 (now 2) 22 week ISA Browns and I had gotten a couple small brown eggs in the week before I noticed the sickness. Then I have a 3 yo Wyandotte that I don't think really lays much anymore. So I was averaging 4-5 eggs. So I lost a baby and one of my 2 yo Marans to the sickness. They were actually still laying pretty well until about the 4th day of Tylan. But is suppose the deaths probably had an impact on the rest as well. [​IMG] I got them some meal worms and yogurt yesterday. I will try some stuff for their water.

Laurie, the injections aren't hard. Just find the breast bone and then the meaty part on either side. Just alternate sides everyday when you give the shot. They don't even flinch. It is intimidating at first but after you do it a couple times it gets easy. The Tylan worked great, I think the 2 I lost had started symptoms days before I caught it. My kids collect eggs during the week and hadn't relayed any info to me about the sneezing/coughing so I wasn't quick enough with the meds with those 2. Lesson learned, I need to go out every other day at least and just interact with them myself.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The deaths and being sick at the same time was most likely stressful and upset the flock dynamics. With two gone the pecking or will change. Any stress can delay egg laying, but illness will too.

Hopefully it will settle down soon and the young ones will go back to laying. The ones beginning molt, will most likely not lay until after they are done.

6. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Okay, I'll go get some Tylan tomorrow at the feed store. Btw...we are in Southern California so it's still somewhat warm here if that helps. What would the dose be? Like 1 ml once a day?? The EE's are almost 4 months old and the other 2 are around 6-7 months.

Also, What do you guys think about my EE girl that was picked practically to death? They went right throwing her skin into the muscle. It's really nasty. I've been putting topical stuff on it along with the purple spray I use on horses. Will it heal up or maybe get infected? I hope her feathers eventually come back. ****, chickens are mean!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by