Treated with Wazine. Now what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicksInTown, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ChicksInTown

ChicksInTown New Egg

Apr 26, 2014
    I've read through all the threads on feather breakage/lice/mites and on roundworms/Wazine and still have questions!

I have three producer hens that were rescued from a closing "cage free" egg farm 6 months ago. Upon rescue they were treated with Prohibit via water and were dusted with 5:1 DE and permectrin. I've been spraying them and the coop regularly with Poultry Protector and dusting the yard and coop with DE. Lice are back and one of the hens has several broken feathers and bald spots (neck and rear), and another has a bald rear end. Just lice or something else too? How would you treat?

I also spotted roundworms in turds, so I treated with Wazine in water for 24 hrs last week. I've noticed more small worms since then and wonder if they're just being passed now or if the infestation has not been affected by the treatment. I'm nearly due to follow up with Wazine again. Should that clear them?

Also, Verm-X? Helpful in maintaining health or unnecessary? I've also got ivermectin on hand (treating a dog with demodex currently), if that will be helpful.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

The Wazine only gets round worms. You can treat them again but they need a more thorough wormer like Valbazan. I think the Ivermectin would take care of the lice, but I can't help with the dosage. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Good luck!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Ivermectin is good for many parasites, although it doesn't kill tapeworms. I use the liquid for cattle or sheep, NOT the pour-on. I use 1 ml. per 80 lbs. body wt., given either orally or on the skin. That's about 0.1 ml. for an eight pound chicken. You can repeat in two weeks. Praziquantel or albendazole is needed for tapeworms, but both products are harder to find. None of these drugs are approved for use in chickens in the USA; that's the way it is. Permethrin powder works for lice too. Mary

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The reason you're seeing worms in poop is because you used Prohibit, aka Levamisole. Since you used levamisole, I dont understand why you're using wazine. Repeat dosing them with levamisole (prohibit) in 14 days, it'll take care of your worm problems. Forget about wazine, ivermectin and vermx.

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Listen to tha' Dawg, he's our resident expert! [​IMG]

6. ChicksInTown

ChicksInTown New Egg

Apr 26, 2014
    The prohibit was given 6 months ago by the rescue group. Worms showed up a month ago, so I used wazine last week.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Got it. Consider reworming with a broad spectrum wormer which will get rid of most types of worms rather than wazine which only gets rid of large roundworms. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by